VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am amazed at how hard it has been to get a PAL DVD converted to an NTSC DVD. The last full user guide is from 2009, and requires software that is well out of date and not available directly.

Would someone be willing to create a current conversion guide? The IFO patch method didn't work for me, and also I tried several of the software tools that show up on Google, none of which could simply produce an NTSC-DVD folder with IFO/BUP files that could play on their own and preserve the original menus!

I realize this is less common these days with digital video, but there are still many DVDs out there.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe get a standalone Media Player and then wrap the PAL or whatever DVD in a MKV container, takes about 3 minutes MakeMKV. If you need to go through the ritual of actually making a new physical DVD that is compatible with NTSC then you are faced with a time consuming and quality loss in the process.

Technology has moved on.....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Converting the DVD video is a simple matter but converting menus is difficult. My own opinion is if you have to ask, you aren't ready to do it as you don't know what's involved. And if you knew what's involved, you wouldn't ask, as the work involved isn't worth the reward. If you insist on having the same menus, you can get a good approximation of them by saving out the motion menu and/or static menu M2Vs, BMPs, and audio for use in a menu creation program. Let it add the buttons and sub pics. Recreate the menus and chapter points and then add back the converted video.

Would someone be willing to create a current conversion guide?
    I doubt it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isj209h23h View Post
    Would someone be willing to create a current conversion guide? The IFO patch method didn't work for me, and also I tried several of the software tools that show up on Google, none of which could simply produce an NTSC-DVD folder with IFO/BUP files that could play on their own and preserve the original menus!
    It would be easier to get a region free DVD or Blu-ray player equipped with HDMI out that can convert from PAL to NTSC for output. ...or follow netmask56's suggestion if that is not a viable option.

There is no software available for automatically converting DVDs from PAL to NTSC, retaining the original menus. There is software, AVStoDVD, that can convert PAL DVD-compliant video to NTSC DVD-compliant video with no menu or a simple menu that you create. Maybe the results would be good enough. Re-creating the original menus would be a time consuming task. Converting the subtitles could be as well.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote