VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If you accept that both display at 768*576 (and both should) then it is the 704*576 that should be stretched. Vertical resolution should be the same.
    Except it's not. koberulz is correct. VHS tapes use ITU resizing that tells you, among other things, that 768x576 gives you a normal round basketball from a 704x576 DVD. That same 768x576 square pixel resize of a 720x576 DVD with pillarbars gives you a slightly oval basketball, like an egg standing on end. It's not much and I doubt most would notice it. But if you're a stickler for accuracy, what he's trying to do is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    All I can say is that somewhere along the way someone mishandled your video. There could be a different way to fix the video that doesn't result in 704x576 resolution.
    What makes you think it's been mishandled?

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It's rather obvious. Encore accepts 720* but you say that looks wrong whereas your 704* looks fine.

So one must find a way to create a 720* file that looks ok, Encore accepts and does not result in bad vobs.
    I'm not sure why that requires a sample. 704x576 is correct for the source. I need a way to temporarily resize it for Encore and then replace it with a correct version later, if that's doable, or otherwise I guess to simply add a resize to 720 to the AviSynth script?

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    I thought about that - it was suggested to me on here a while back as a method of replacing menus on already-authored discs - but that won't allow me to place the layer break.
    ImgBurn will set a layer break at the best possible place when the DVD is burned to disk. Or, you can set it in advance of burning in PGCEdit:

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgcedit_v2.htm
    ImgBurn and PGCEdit will only allow me to place a layer break where there's a change between cells. Encore will allow me to place a change between cells anywhere I want within a given window (depending on how full the disc is), so within the given window I can be frame-specific about where I want the break.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's your baby. No one can force you to provide a sample. Others with more knowledge than me could, possibly, fix this quickly whereas you are, with respect, just tinkering at the moment.

And the whole purpose right now is to provide Encore with a workable clip and one that you will be happy with.

But isn't the original cap 720 in the first place ? Did you just use HCenc for the resize to 704 ? That is now the impression I get.. It's that your OP is not clear.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    All I can say is that somewhere along the way someone mishandled your video. There could be a different way to fix the video that doesn't result in 704x576 resolution.
    What makes you think it's been mishandled?
    The reason I thought that is that objects aren't displayed with the correct proportions. I forgot about ITU resizing. That is probably because when I captured the output from a VCR years ago I used one of the Panasonic DVD recorder models which captured at 704x480 rather than 720x480.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I thought about that - it was suggested to me on here a while back as a method of replacing menus on already-authored discs - but that won't allow me to place the layer break.
    ImgBurn will set a layer break at the best possible place when the DVD is burned to disk. Or, you can set it in advance of burning in PGCEdit:

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgcedit_v2.htm
    ImgBurn and PGCEdit will only allow me to place a layer break where there's a change between cells. Encore will allow me to place a change between cells anywhere I want within a given window (depending on how full the disc is), so within the given window I can be frame-specific about where I want the break.
    You have a choice to make between slightly distorted video throughout and a layer break that isn't positioned exactly where you want it. Maybe you should experiment with manono's suggestions to see if they allow selecting an alternative position for the layer break which is still acceptable even if it isn't perfect.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  5. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's the disadvantage of adding a resize to 720x576 after the crop in AviSynth? That would give me the same result as getting the 704x576 version through the process, would it not? Would that change the SAR for the x264 encode?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    What's the disadvantage of adding a resize to 720x576 after the crop in AviSynth?
    Every resize has the possibility of creating artifacts. Moire, aliasing, blurring, oversharpening halos, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    True, but the alternative is oblong basketballs, apparently. Unless there's a way to get the DVDPatcher thing working.
    Quote Quote