VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi! It's me again, AmanoAi. It seems like I have no luck with VHS tapes and VCRs. Despite that, I'm into old video stuff... The problem that I have is about the sound track on VHS tapes. A couple weeks ago,I managed to record something on a VHS tape using via SCART input. (My VCR has 2 SCART input.) I was able to hear the sound well while recording but then, I realised that the tape has no sound. Sounds impossible but it's 100 percent real! I think there is something wrong with audio heads or one of the sound tracks of the tape. I also noticed that my VCR plays other tapes with sound.
    Last edited by AmanoAi; 15th Jul 2018 at 08:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Does your VCR have audio meters? If so, did they indicate a signal during recording?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, they indicated the signal while recording. They even indicated signals up to 10. I have no idea why this happened.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If the meters are moving during playback, then it could be a cabling or output selection problem. If they are still, then it could be an audio failure during recording or playback. You would have to play the tape in another VCR to figure out which.

Does your VCR have an option to select the HiFi or linear audio track for recording and/or playback?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few thoughts.

Whilst a VCR, certainly a European model, would have two scart sockets, only one is for input. The other is output only. So the first check is to ensure you had the cable plugged in to the correct socket.

The second thought is the cable you used to connect. Not all scart leads are fully wired and, again, the one you used could have some pins not connected.

But, yes, the tape may be recorded correctly but the issue is still the wiring on the scart connectors or connecting lead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I think that something is wrong with my VCR's video and sound inputs. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You didn't respond to JVRaines question about linear and Hi-Fi audio. Please let us know whether you have a VCR that has both linear and Hi-Fi audio. Then, after you answer that question, if the VCR lets you switch between the linear and Hi-Fi tracks, do that and tell us what happens.

Old VCRs only had linear audio. The newer ones have both linear and Hi-Fi. Most VCRs that have both record the same sound on both tracks, but it is possible that you have a tape which only has sound on one of the tracks, and the playback is set to the other track. The result? No sound on that tape, but sound on other tapes that have sound on both tracks.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 18th Aug 2018 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote