VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I have a Manfrotto MVH500AH video head which has an "ancillary" (?) mount on the side (3/8th of an Inch thread).

I have been searching for some time now trying to find one but do not know what search terms to use to find it

My question is : Is there a simple mount (or combination) that will thread into this hole that will then hold a smart phone and allow the phone to be tilted up and down? 360 degree rotation is not required, just up and down. My camera (Nikon D7100) does not have a tilting screen and will often be facing upwards making the viewing of the Viewfinder or the Live View Screen difficult to say the least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just looked up "manfroto phone mount" and found a number of clamp options.
    However, you most likely will need some extender with a tilt, sort of like a gooseneck (to borrow from mic terms).

You also may need a shade hood if you are intending to view this outdoors.

Btw, do you already have the W1U (or whatever the model # is) wireless attachment for the Nikon?
    I opted out of that and just got an Eye-Fi sdcard.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Scott

I will search on "Manfrotto Phone Mount" and see what I can find.

To answer your question, no I don't have the WU-1a (?) yet and will look into your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

That will hold the phone, now all I need is some way to mount that onto the MVH500AH head! A simple threaded rod with a tilting mount would be required to do what I want.

As another option, I have seen the Neewer 3-in-1 Hotshoe mount (see below), but I am unsure of the strength of the hot shoe mounting. Or am I just over cautious? This may be my final option, I was just hoping there was something a bit better that did the same job.

I am still searching.

[Attachment 46069 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That looks really good. Thank you. I had seen it before but had not thought through the mounting options.
    Quote Quote