VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to encode a PRORES video to 10bit 444 h264 or h265 and none of the encoders I have tried (staxrip, x264vfw and x265vfw) will accept any format 10bit or more such as Y410 even if they have 10bit encode options, so how is it possible to encode a true HDR10 video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Via command-line:
    ffmpeg, x264cli (or a pipe ffmpeg->x264cli/x265cli)

GUI:
    MeGUI

But StaxRip should support it, I think. If you don't have any luck using its AviSynth pipeline try the VapourSynth one.

Note:
    10 bit+4:4:4 doesn't imply HDR. If you do actually encode with HDR note that x264 doesn't support the HDR metadata described in the H.264/AVC spec. Better to use x265, then. (It's possible to add metadata e.g. on the mkv container level, though.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. sneaker is absolutely right.

ffmpeg has added support to encode 8-bit and 10-bit for x264 and x265 within the same executable since February of this year (see https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5475).

Before you have had to create your own 10-bit builds and to work with separate executables for 8-bit and for 10-bit.

So, you can use ffmpeg now to create an encode based on a PRORES video with pixel format yuv422p10le (or even yuv444p10le). And you can use it to create x265 HDR10 encodes if your source is HDR.

I've read certain times that the guys creating encodes of their UHD HDR Blu Rays are using StaxRip. So it should have those capabilities, too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VapourSynth does what I want, thanks for the enlightenment guys.
    Quote Quote