VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all!

I am in the process of editing a project that contains videos with multiple frame rate. Half of the videos were filmed on my home camcorder at 29 FPS, and the other videos are from a Blu-Ray I ripped to my computer (Rocky) which is of course 24 FPS.

Is there any way for me to render the final product in a way in which all of my camcorder footage appears at its original 29 FPS and the Rocky clips appear at its original 24 FPS? Or is this not possible? (Right now, I'm rendering the full project at 29 FPS, so my camcorder footage appears great, but the Rocky footage looks terrible).

For reference, I edit in Sony Vegas Pro 12.

Thanks for any advice!
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is that camcorder footage 29.97i, interlaced?
    Then batch convert all those 29.97i clips into 59.94p (you can use yadif bob or qtgms to be perfect), use some avi losless container, like huffyuv or utvideo. You can use VirtualDub2. Give them the same names as original clips and then in Vegas replace those 29.97i clips with those 59.94p clips in that finished project.
    Then for those 23.94p clips use disable resample in Vegas , and Vegas just should duplicate frames if rendering to 59.94p, it should not look that bad.
    Of course set your project to 59.94p and export to that frame rate as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Is that camcorder footage 29.97i, interlaced?
    Then batch convert all those 29.97i clips into 59.94p (you can use yadif bob or qtgms to be perfect), use some avi losless container, like huffyuv or utvideo. You can use VirtualDub2. Give them the same names as original clips and then in Vegas replace those 29.97i clips with those 59.94p clips in that finished project.
    Then for those 23.94p clips use disable resample in Vegas , and Vegas just should duplicate frames if rendering to 59.94p, it should not look that bad.
    Of course set your project to 59.94p and export to that frame rate as well.
    Hi Al!

Wow, your suggestion to disable resample in Vegas was amazing!!!! That was exactly what I needed. I did that, and now the Rocky movie clips look perfect. I'm shocked that worked so easily. My camcorder footage actually looks great as well even without converting. However I will also give that a try just to see how it looks, though I think this may have even been all I needed.

What exactly is resampling? Is "smart resampling" adding frames, but "disabling" resampling simply keeps the frame rate "as-is?"

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    From the fine manual:
    Smart resample
    Resampling occurs only when an event's calculated frame rate does not match the project frame rate and the project frame rate is 24 fps or greater. The calculated frame rate takes into account any changes made to event speed with velocity envelope, playback rate, and undersample rate.
    Force resample
    The event is always resampled, regardless of its frame rate or the output frame rate.
    Disable resample
    No resampling will occur.
    Resampling entails interpolation of new frames. In the absence of resampling, Vegas duplicates frames to achieve the project rate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    From the fine manual:
    Smart resample
    Resampling occurs only when an event's calculated frame rate does not match the project frame rate and the project frame rate is 24 fps or greater. The calculated frame rate takes into account any changes made to event speed with velocity envelope, playback rate, and undersample rate.
    Force resample
    The event is always resampled, regardless of its frame rate or the output frame rate.
    Disable resample
    No resampling will occur.
    Resampling entails interpolation of new frames. In the absence of resampling, Vegas duplicates frames to achieve the project rate.
    I should have thought to check the manual haha, thanks JV! And awesome, thanks for the explanation - very interesting that Vegas duplicates the frames, that makes sense. Thanks again!!
    Quote Quote