VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. whats the best way to capture super 8 films? preferably myself. i have a mac computer.

    my grandmother has hundreds of old super 8 tapes, and i'd love to get them digitalized before she passes so we can watch them with ease.

    whats the best, cheapest way to do it myself? (some tapes would have to be spliced as well)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    First, please do not refer to motion picture film as "tape." Magnetic tape is a different medium and you are confusing the issue.

    The best way to convert motion picture film is in a frame-by-frame scanner. A video camera takes pictures of each frame and then they are stitched together as a computer video file. But this is not the cheapest way. The cheapest way is to project the film on a small screen and record it with a video camera. This may be adequate for you if quality is not that important.

    As they say, "GOOD, FAST, CHEAP ó pick any two."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    First, please do not refer to motion picture film as "tape." Magnetic tape is a different medium and you are confusing the issue.

    The best way to convert motion picture film is in a frame-by-frame scanner. A video camera takes pictures of each frame and then they are stitched together as a computer video file. But this is not the cheapest way. The cheapest way is to project the film on a small screen and record it with a video camera. This may be adequate for you if quality is not that important.

    As they say, "GOOD, FAST, CHEAP ó pick any two."
    sorry, i dont have a lot of knowledge of things behind vhs tapes and camcorders.
    i dont want to record it with a camera cause our player/projector is junky and messes up a lot.
    i pick good and cheap, haha
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    For your purposes, you might do well with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Super8-Digitizer-Film2Digital-MovieMaker/dp/B01KA32HH0

    It seems to be the best option for a low price.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Memphis TN, US
    Search PM
    Don't forget that the owner says he has a Mac. That will pretty much cripple his processing choices.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    This one is 8mm film (or super8, looks nearly the same):
    Image
    [Attachment 46019 - Click to enlarge]


    This one is 8mm videotape (or hi8, or digital8):
    Image
    [Attachment 46020 - Click to enlarge]


    Big difference in how you transfer. Which one is it?

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Don't forget that the owner says he has a Mac. That will pretty much cripple his processing choices.
    Standalone Wolverine unit captures to SD card. Compatible with Win, Mac, and Linux.

    Since the OP says it comes from his grandmother, I guessing film, not tape.

    And judging from the center hub on the reel in Cornucopia's upper photo, that is Super 8. Kodak, for certain.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    And judging from the center hub on the reel in Cornucopia's upper photo, that is Super 8. Kodak, for certain.
    Friendly nope.

    Perfs and hub say regular 8.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Yes, those are Standard 8 perforations. I learned long ago that you can't make assumptions based on the reel or the box.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Yes, those are Standard 8 perforations. I learned long ago that you can't make assumptions based on the reel or the box.
    I was getting ready to argue with you until I pulled a couple of old reels out of the storage closet. I stand corrected on both the sprockets and the hub. That pic is just too damn small.

    That Wolverine unit will do both formats.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads