VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix, HBO, etc! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Starting with an H.264 YUV mp4 file, how would I confine the luma and RGB values to the range of 5 to 246 using ffmpeg?

I'm using lutyuv successfully on the luma, but am having a hard time with the RGB levels. They tend to be too hot.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r103.pdf

Video Signal Tolerance
    In practice it is difficult to avoid generating signals slightly out of range, and it is considered
    reasonable to allow a small tolerance, therefore,
    the EBU recommends that the RGB components and the corresponding Luminance (Y) signal should not normally
    exceed the “Preferred Minimum/Maximum” range of digital sample levels in the table
    below.

Any signals outside the “Preferred Minimum/Maximum” range are described as having a gamut error
    (or as, being out of gamut). Signals shall not exceed the “Total Video Signal Range”, overshoots
    that attempt to “exceed” these values may clip.
    Preferred Min. / Max.

8 bit

5 - 246
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is some ffmpeg code I use to make the output of my camcorder r103 compliant, i.e. the luma and RGB levels are confined to digital 5 - 246.

It controls gain, pedestal (brightness), gamma, saturation and adds a little sharpness.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "input.mp4"  -crf 0  -c:v libx264  -pix_fmt yuv420p  -s 1280x720  -r 59.94  -vf  unsharp=luma_msize_x=7:luma_msize_y=7:luma_amount=0.25,eq=brightness=-.03:saturation=0.65:gamma=1.15,
    lutyuv=y='clip(val*1.06,16,235)'  -c:a copy  clipped.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here is some ffmpeg code that does the same thing as above, but creates a lossless ffv1 .mkv file.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.MP4  -vcodec ffv1 -level 3  -threads 8  -coder 1  -context 1  -g 1  -slices  24  -slicecrc 1  -pix_fmt bgr0  -s 1280x720  -r 59.94  -vf unsharp=luma_msize_x=7:luma_msize_y=7:luma_amount=0.25,eq=brightness=-0.03:gamma=1.15:saturation=0.65  -c:a copy  clipped.mkv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here is some ffmpeg code that does the same things as above, but creates a lossless ffv1 .mkv file.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.MP4  -vcodec ffv1 -level 3  -threads 8  -coder 1  -context 1  -g 1  -slices  24  -slicecrc 1  -pix_fmt bgr0  -s 1280x720  -r 59.94  -vf unsharp=luma_msize_x=7:luma_msize_y=7:luma_amount=0.25,eq=brightness=-0.03:gamma=1.15:saturation=0.65  -c:a copy  clipped.mkv
    Quote Quote