VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. This is my first post, so be gentle =).
    I want to edit an anime episode. They come with english subs, with no extra srt file. When I open an episode in VSDC, the subs are completely gone. I know the red subtitle button on the left, but it is for inserting subtitles I do not have. I just want to use original subtitles that are in the video that I downloaded. Does anyone know how to keep the subtitles or does this editor completely remove them? =/.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know VSDC, but you can most probably get your subtitles to drag movie to Subtitle edit and it should extract it so you can save them somewhere else. When you do cut in video, you will need to sync them lately. I'm not sure there is some NLE software working with subtitles. Probably and maybe yes, but don't know about it.
    So usual way is to sync subtitles in programs like subtitleEdit or similar. But this one is really great. For timing syncing or for example extracting dvb subtitles and ocr them and for much more things.

I know i didn't help you much. But at least you can try to get the subtitles from video. Best format for this in subtitleedit is mkv, but it is painless operation easily can be done with mkvtoolnix. Or if you working with vob files you can extract them there too.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Offhand I would ask what format you downloaded. Some formats like mp4 need a separate file of subtitles or they are hardcoded. Others like Vob can be contained within.
    Quote Quote  
  4. They are mkv. Subs are not hardcoded, but they come in video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like Bernix, I don't use VSDC but everywhere I check, it talks of inserting, adding or creating subtitles but nothing about using an existing stream of subtitles like MKV uses. You may have to extract them in a separate procedure like Bernix suggested and for this, I agree with his excellent advice. Subtitle edit is great for timing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for replies everyone! Subtitle Edit helped me a lot. I also figured out that I'm supposed to click the screen after applying subtitles to ASDC, which I wouldn't have figured out on my own. All I have to do now is time subtitles for my edited parts (no help needed). Thank you again!
    Quote Quote