VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

My old 32 bit Windows XP computer would play videos I record with a digital 8 mm video camera and then put on DVD with a DVD recorder, by opening the DVD player on the computer then opening the VIDEO_TS folder then double clicking on VTS_01_1.VOB ( _2., _3. etc) and the default GOM Player would open and play them. But in my new 64 bit Windows 10 computer I don't have GOM Player and try playing those vids the same way using Windows Media Player but it won't do anything trying it that way. Trying to drag and drop a + sign comes up, but still it won't do anything. Copying them to the Video Folder, then highlighting the icon and selecting Open With, Windows Media Player will play them but it doesn't split the videos the way it does on DVD players. Can anyone suggest a good way of doing this? Can anyone explain why it won't play these DVDs like it does things I buy, but all DVD players I've put them in play them just fine with no problems bringing up the menu like they're supposed to?

Thank you for any help with this!
    David
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should always open with the VIDEO_TS IFO file.....not the first VOB.
    Get VLC or MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what he hech54 said

use vlc (video lan player) or mpc (media player classic)

i have been using both many years

in the software section here, you will find many video-media players , you can try
    Quote Quote  
  4. Win10 no longer includes the ability to play DVDs (of course, neither did XP). You have to add a third party program. The aforementioned VLC and MPCHC or MPCBE are good choices -- and both free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Win10 no longer includes the ability to play DVDs (of course, neither did XP). You have to add a third party program. The aforementioned VLC and MPCHC or MPCBE are good choices -- and both free.
    I don't understand. I've been playing DVDs I bought on a computer with Windows 7 with no problem using Windows Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Get VLC or MPC.
    I couldn't get anything out of that at all. That was using Windows Media Player. I haven't gotten any of the others yet, but do have VLC on my XP computer. I like the GOM Player because I can take still pictures using it, and can do it with MP4s and stuff on the Windows 10 computer. Actually, after copying to the Video Folder and using Windows Media Player I can do it also, but it doesn't load the full videos that way. A ~30 minute video it only loads about 14 minutes or something. When I try to take a picture from a video on the XP computer using VLC it will grab part of the image, but not the part that I select...just whatever it feels like. And it sort of slides around after I try copying it onto a document. I don't know how to explain it, but it's weird and very frustrating. With GOM player it's no problem, just copy and paste.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by nopEda View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Win10 no longer includes the ability to play DVDs (of course, neither did XP). You have to add a third party program. The aforementioned VLC and MPCHC or MPCBE are good choices -- and both free.
    I don't understand. I've been playing DVDs I bought on a computer with Windows 7 with no problem using Windows Media Player.
    Because Windows 7 included the ability to play DVDs. Windows 10 does not. You have to download a third party player or buy Microsoft's:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_apps-insider_other/getting-t...=1438117403084
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am PLEABS
    Search Comp PM
    Try Light-Alloy this freeware player can work using internal and external codec, better playlist management and a lot more feature you can play with, its my fav player
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Get VLC or MPC.
    Okay, that does bring up the disk menu and it will play the full videos. Doing it the other way won't play an entire video, only about half of them. Why is that? But doing it by opening the IFO file it won't fast forward or go back. Is there some option somehow to allow that? Opening the VOB allows fast forward and going back but won't play the whole video. What a bunch of *#+!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Which player are using? Opening via the IFO file works fine for me (FF, RW, chapters, random seeks) with VLC and MPCHC. Maybe there's something wrong with that particular DVD.

VOB contents is rather free form. They may contain multiple interleaved video streams, non contiguous titles, etc. It's the IFO files that tell the player how to play them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Probably prohibited user operation on that paricular DVD.

Best choice of Player is MPC-BE. Maybe you want to use external filters like LAV Filters, simply add in options.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Depending on the length and bitrate the files are bigger than 1 GB, the filesystem on dvd video is udf which only allows 1 gb file sizes. Just like fat file system only allows 1gb if i remember correctly, for fat32 it is 4gb. When playing the dvd stucture ifo file the player knows how to in play the splitted 1gb vob files seamlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Download and install VLC Media Player or Pot Player, then you can play DVDs in Win 10.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  14. That players don’t change the fact of prohibited user operations.
    You can use VLC or Potplayer! But I can only recommend MPC-BE, before I used MPC-HC.

I just tested PotPlayer and also KMPlayer but the players are not as good as MPC-BE.

And MPC-BE is offered in GNU. Potplayer is in hall of shame of ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Probably prohibited user operation on that paricular DVD.

Best choice of Player is MPC-BE. Maybe you want to use external filters like LAV Filters, simply add in options.
    Downloaded MPC-BE for 64 bit and it's doing great, can jump forward and back. Is there a way to fast forward and back, or do you just have to jump around? Also I don't see the time counter and so far haven't found the option to view it. Can someone tell me how to bring it up? And what about making it darker or lighter? I can do that with GOM Player, but haven't figured it out in MPC yet. It will do it, won't it?

Oh, I found that. View Options Video Color Correction
    Last edited by nopEda; 11th Jul 2018 at 16:41.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry for the late reply.
    You can click on on the search bar to the desired position, in options -> interface you can enable preview of the frame where the curser currently is. Nice feature which is working great in MPC-BE.
    You can also press left/right arrow on you keyboard and in shortcuts you define you own for the two other lengths of jumps, like Ctrl + Arrow and Shift + Arrow, or whatever you like
    You can also define the length of the three different jumps in options -> last page.
    The time counter is located in right bottom corner, if you click on it it displays the remaining time, if you click on it a second time it displays again the already played time.
    You can also activate the OSD time counter by pressing Ctrl + I

What do you want to make darker?
    Skin -> options -> player -> interface -> chosse color in RGB sliders and brightness
    Video -> options -> video -> color correction.

It has every thing you need
    Quote Quote