VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone, I'm using Virtualdub to find out the initial and final frame of the part of a video. The beginning of the part that interests me (a scene change) is at 0:00:52:803 and the end is at 0:20:35:995. But when I go back to check, I find out that the beginning has changed. The beginning of the scene was at 0:00:52:803, while now it has jumped back one frame, 0:00:52:761. At first I thought I had made a mistake, but when I re-opened the video the initial time was again 0:00:52:803. It is important for me to find out the exact duration of this part of video as I need to compare it with the duration of the same scene from another video source. What could be the problem? Sometimes it also happens that as I move backwards, the video turns gray or black and it becomes difficult to work
    Quote Quote  
  2. Inaccurate seeking is common with long gop, out of order codecs. Try using a different source filter (avoid DirectShow) -- specify the source filter near the bottom of the File -> Open Video File dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is common pitfall when decoding things like H264 through VFW decoder (this is traditional way in VD).
    In good day you may get predictable decoding in VD2, or by using FFMpeg input plugin. Also depends on the file format, something like ts are just better converted to something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo I was just using DirectShow .. I tried to change filter, but the problem remains. It happens when I move backwards.

@shekh I downloaded VirtualDub2 and for now I have no problems, not even when I move backwards.

Thank you both!
    Quote Quote