VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

Just Shoot Me and Courage the Cowardly Dog are two shows I loved when I was a teenager. I bought them on DVD and am now trying to rip them. After lots of reading and experimenting over two weeks, I think I have a good grasp of some fundamental concepts. However, I seem to be working with pretty low quality DVD sources.

The frames in this post are captured from DGIndex. I opened the VOB in DGIndex and set:
    1. Video --> Field Operation --> Ignore Pulldown Flags
    2. Options --> Playback Speed --> Single Step
    Then navigated to the desired place, and pressed F6 to start stepping.

Just Shoot Me:
    You can see a clear 3:2 (PPPIIPPPII) pattern, so I conclude the DVD content is hard telecined. The telecine pattern is more pronounced in panning shots, but I chose this scene for another reason. Notice even in the progressive frames, a lot of lines (including Maya's hair) are jagged or fuzzy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JSM_merge.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	45955

Courage the Cowardly Dog:
    This is soft telecined, so at first I thought it was better. The soft telecine is concluded from:
    1. MediaInfo showing scan type as Progressive and scan order as 2:3 Pulldown
    2. DGIndex preview says it's progressive film (although not 100% film)
    Indeed with pulldown ignored, I don't see interlaced frames (except a single case captured below; there may be more but I haven't found any other). But again, lines are jagged.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Courage_merge.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	45956

I guess my question is, I'm curious technically why these DVDs are like this. Both programs (not necessarily the DVDs) start with original progressive material (Just Shoot Me was shot on film based on Wikipedia.) What sequence can lead to the current DVD state?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by xcel102 View Post
    Notice even in the progressive frames, a lot of lines (including Maya's hair) are jagged or fuzzy
    Those are dot crawl artifacts -- incomplete separation of the chroma and luma from a composite signal.

Originally Posted by xcel102 View Post
    I guess my question is, I'm curious technically why these DVDs are like this. Both programs (not necessarily the DVDs) start with original progressive material (Just Shoot Me was shot on film based on Wikipedia.) What sequence can lead to the current DVD state?
    The DVDs weren't made by going back to the original film and digitizing it. They just stuck a studio video tape in a deck and captured the analog output. This is common for TV shows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Try the Tcomb(mode=0) filter in AVISynth. Experiment with the fthreshL and othreshL parameters talked about here to get the best results.
    Quote Quote