VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Adobe removed dolby encoding support from Premiere and so I've been trying to use encwavtoac3.

I have a 3.1 mix I need to get into ac3 format. I exported each stem as a mono wav and then bring them into encwavtoac3.

I use the mux wizard to assign them to the proper channels and then allow the program to re-order them in the list. "multiple mono input" is checked. I set a directory and a filename for the output and then click "encode". I get a flash of a window and that's it. The file has been created but it's 0 bytes.

Everything is default, but I've tried changing various things to get a different result but it's always the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you download/install Aften ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is installing Aften mean having to build it with CMake?

I was able to get AftenGUI to work just by having Aften.exe in the same directory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am just trying to assist.

Your prog from the OP is just a GUI for Aften so it figures that that needs to exist - I guess in the same folder - to work just like AftenGUI

Not having downloaded/installed the prog I simply do not know if it is included in the download. I suspect it is not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for helping, my questions stem solely from true ignorance. I definitely wouldn't take any assistance here for granted. The reason I bring up building with CMake is that there are quite a few linux tutorials that refer to the building of Aften in CMake as "installing". This makes me realize that I was never clear about my OS: I'm using Windows 10 Home.

Yes, I believe you are correct that Aften doesn't come with the GUI. However, getting Aften.exe and putting it in the directory doesn't seem to help.

Inside the program, there's only one setting that allows you to point to other files. The "engines" point to libraries in .dll files. These are all included with the GUI download, though. I've even tried changing the path for the Aften engine to the .exe but that doesn't change the output either.

I've tried using the .exe that comes with AftenGUI and also found a win32 build. That was after finding this thread where it was implied that the main download was for Unix. I'm not sure if that's the case, but the main download on the Aften page contains no executables. The link to win32 builds on that thread is dead, so I had to google to find an up-to-date windows build here. I extracted the contents of that build into the main directory of encwavtoac3 but still have had no difference in result.

I guess it's a bit silly to be asking whether I need to build it when I've been downloading things called "builds". Sorry, I've been looking at a lot of different sources on this and got turned around.
    Last edited by Flubly; 1st Jul 2018 at 20:36.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's the main download link from the AftenGUI page, so I've tried that already. I did it again from your link just in case (extracting the contents to encwavtoac3's directory) but got the same result.

Edit: I'm having some luck with exporting a polywav from premiere and converting it using AftenGUI. I wanted to use encwavtoac3 as it allows you to do multi-mono but this may have to do. I don't have a surround system so that was going to be how I was sure everything was routed correctly. Premiere can be wonky with routing.
    Last edited by Flubly; 2nd Jul 2018 at 04:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A little tip. Any software for which a direct link in this website exists will be highlighted. You then have to simply click on the highlighted link to go to the appropriate software page.

To make it easier for you, here is the download page

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Aften
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hmm, I must be miscommunicating. I'll try and clarify:

I have Aften, I've had it from before I made this thread. I haven't had any trouble getting to software pages or downloads.

The reason I'm talking about different builds and downloads is because when one doesn't work, I've been looking for others to see if they work. My ignorance isn't concerning how to navigate this website, it's whether Aften is properly installed or not.

Currently Aften and Encwavtoac3 are both on my computer and in the same directory. When I click encode, I get a flash of a window and an output file that is 0 bytes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried both AftenGui and EncWAVtoAC3 and found that they work if you feed them an uncompressed (PCM) wav file.
    I used a 1-channel wav and got 1-channel ac3

I tested it in Widnows XP; if it;s not working in newer OS, perhaps try the compatibility setting
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well after numerous attempts I got the bloody thing to work.

Now there is only one Aften.exe and I did include that in the same folder. Now since I use Win7-64 I installed the 64 bit version of Enc. I just altered the engine to Aften x64 and then it worked (did not with simple Aften)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you guys very much for taking the time to experiment with it. I'll definitely try this stuff out when I get home tonight.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now here's a funny thing.

Just for a giggle I deleted Aften from that folder. The program still worked as described above.

Maybe that dependency was only in relation to an earlier version.

It is still on my HDD with AftenGUI but that install is portable so the prog can hardly use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it still does not work for you I suggest you look more closely at the preset that are using since I also only encoded a single file with preset set to default.

You may need to select a different one for your purpose.
    Quote Quote