VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to capture recordings off my Genie (receiver: HR54/700).

I was able to capture recordings off my other DirecTV box fine (receiver: HR24/200) with the component cables.

The lack of component cables on the Genie make it impossible as is to rip off of it. I perused a topic on this board from 2015 that proposed a couple of solutions, like an HDMI splitter, an HDCP stripping HDMI splitter, and a component to HDMI adapter.

So which route should I go? From what it sounds like, an HDCP stripping splitter seems optimal. If so, is there a specific one I should target to ensure it works between my HD PVR 2 and the Genie?

Thanks

EDIT: I should note that the satellite is not set up because we are in a move, in case that fiddles with any settings access.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a HDMI cable and a ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter with my HD PVR2.
    But no guarantee it will work with all setups or newer versions of the device.

EDIT: I have a Hauppauge DVR2 145210 LF. It's the gaming version.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR2.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	45949  

Last edited by redwudz; 1st Jul 2018 at 11:46. Reason: Add model number
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Since the A/V input for the HD PVR 2 only allows for a component cable, would I still need to get an adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what to do. I found that the Genie also has component A/V output, but it's a female end like the one on my PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anyway to put the recordings
    Onto a flash drive ?? also see here - https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DVR-Receivers/Try-this-again-Can-you-move-recorded-p...D/td-p/4682532
    Last edited by october262; 30th Jun 2018 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HPJoker View Post
    Since the A/V input for the HD PVR 2 only allows for a component cable, would I still need to get an adapter?
    Are you talking about the Hauppauge HD PVR2. What model do you have? I have a 1512 and it has HDMI input and output. Both component and composite use a separate dongle with the breakout cables attached. The HDPVR1 1212 has only the component connectors and no hdmi.

You're question about 2 female component devices sounds strange or maybe I'm misreading something. Component cables are usually male at both ends so of course it's expected that both sending and receiving devices would have female ended component connectors.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have the 1512 as well. This is what the back looks like.

Name:	36736095_10211692802371364_1033295850685595648_n.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	45981  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the 1512 as well. This is what the back looks like.
    There are some variations on the models of the Hauppauge boxes including the 1512 depending on when it came out. For instance mine has a slot type connector for the A/V in like the one shown by redwudz even though it's also a 1512 while yours is rounded but that doesn't matter.

Make sure you don't connect both a component and HDMI cable on the back of your Genie box. Most if not all newer devices will disable the component if an hdmi cable is connected.

Surely you've solved the female out component from the Genie to the female in component on the HDPVR2 issue all you need is a regular common male to male component cable to bridge them. Just keep the colors straight.

You can't directly capture videos from the HDPVR2 unless it's hooked to a computer. You can attach a usb thumb drive or card to a computer and then in the capture app you can direct the output to an external drive. You may have issues if your drive is too slow but I've done it. However this isn't moving it's just re-capturing stored videos from you Genie PVR. Whether files can be moved directly would be a separate topic unrelated to the HDPVR2.
    Last edited by gll99; 4th Jul 2018 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by HPJoker View Post
    I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what to do. I found that the Genie also has component A/V output, but it's a female end like the one on my PVR.
    Devices almost always have female connectors. You use a male/male cable to connect them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I'm going to need to find an adapter to connect the component cables I have to the female A/V port on the back of the Genie. If that doesn't work, what should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by HPJoker View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to need to find an adapter to connect the component cables I have to the female A/V port on the back of the Genie. If that doesn't work, what should I do?
    Your image doesn't show what's at the end of the pigtail adapter. But I'm guessing it's the normal five female RCA connectors for component video and stereo audio. All you need is a normal component video cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5ft-22AWG-Component-Coaxial/dp/B01ELS2HW0/

Or, if you can place the capture device close enough to your source, five male/male RCA adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Male-Audio-Coupler-Adapter/dp/B004HRB7C2/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now you are saying you don't have the adapter with the component breakout cables that fits on the back of the Genie 700 pvr. (It's a plug similar to the one on the Hauppauge but not interchangeable).

That should have been made a lot clearer instead of not knowing how to connect "female to female component" as posted before. It wasted a lot of time. It didn't sound serious especially since you had captured over component with an older model box before. If the adapter didn't come with the Genie then your provider must have those available. I'm surprised it wasn't included. Just call them and ask.

This looks like what you need compatible with the Genie HR54

https://www.amazon.com/COMPONENT-CABLE-DIRECTV-HR54-RECEIVER/dp/B01M22HSU1
    Last edited by gll99; 5th Jul 2018 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    These are the component cables I hooked up to the HR24/200. The picture is of the HR54/700 Genie. The HR24/200 had component plugs I could directly attach to while the Genie doesn't. Hope this clears things up.

Name:	36667918_10211704078853269_709440348606169088_n.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	45990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	36795479_10211704079213278_6313824675008872448_n.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	862.0 KB
ID:	45991  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with gll99. You need a cable like this to provide component video connections (and analog stereo audio connections) for your Genie receiver: https://www.amazon.com/COMPONENT-CABLE-DIRECTV-HR54-RECEIVER/dp/B01M22HSU1
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Ordered. I'll give it a shot. Thank you guys so much!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by HPJoker View Post
    These are the component cables I hooked up to the HR24/200. The picture is of the HR54/700 Genie. The HR24/200 had component plugs I could directly attach to while the Genie doesn't. Hope this clears things up.
    Sorry. I thought the image in post #7 was the back of the Genie with a pigtail adapter that you already have. I see now that it was the HD PVR 2 and its adapter. So yes, you need another adapter for the Genie. Be sure that the adapter is made specifically for the device you have as there is no universal standard for such adapters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sorry. I thought the image in post #7 was the back of the Genie with a pigtail adapter that you already have. I see now that it was the HD PVR 2 and its adapter. So yes, you need another adapter for the Genie. Be sure that the adapter is made specifically for the device you have as there is no universal standard for such adapters.
    The adapter I linked to on Amazon mentioned the HR54. There are others that were listed a bit cheaper at around $4 and looked almost the same but didn't specifically mention his Genie model. As long as he ordered the one which is listed at around $11 it should fit.

This was a confusing thread I already knew the pic he had posted earlier was the back of the Hauppauge PVR2 although like I said mine has a slot connector for the Haup adapter instead of a round one like his. I know they make both types but up to that post it sounded like he had the adapter for the Genie but was confused about how to connect the male/male bridge cable between the 2 female devices. At one point based on his userid and the simplicity of the seeming issue, I started thinking maybe he was just jerking around. Once the op said he needed the adapter for the Genie HR54/700 it was finally clear. This could have been so much easier. (lol)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On ebay the part number is H2510PIN and Dongle is for C31, C41, C51, C61, H25 and HR54
    Last edited by SHS; 14th Jul 2018 at 06:56.
    Quote Quote