VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I have been trying to interpolate some videos to 60FPS for a while now, and I have had mixed results. I have been using this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAPWqXT5Xg )as a "benchmark" of sorts, to compare my results to. So far I have not been able to produce a video that is as good as it.

This is probably the best one I could make so far: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzWDcYRoEEL5EIUAS

I used SVP code to make that video, as the person who made the youtube video I linked said they used SVP.

In my video, the camera panning is very smooth, however the movement of people and objects is not as smooth as it is in the youtube video.

What settings should I be using in SVP code in order to get the same (or better) results as the youtube video?

Also, do I need SVP Code, could I achieve results similar to the youtube video in MEGUI with avisynth?

I also am having problems with framerates of files:

When I use handbrake to convert the original m4v file to a mp4 file, i select source framerate and constant, however, the framerate comes out differently (the orginal was 23.976008 and handbrake outputs 23.976024), and also even though I selected constant framerate, SVP says it can't work with the file as it has a variable framerate. How do I fix this?

P.S. The reason it is frozen is that is the best example I could find, the animation shows off the effects better and the person who made that video said they used SVP, so it s a good comparison for my results.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might want to read through this thread over at doom9.org:

SVP flow: is there better ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    When I use handbrake to convert the original m4v file to a mp4 file...
    Don't.
    How do I fix this?
    Don't use Handbrake. Or perhaps use an AssumeFPS line in your AviSYnth script.
    In my video, the camera panning is very smooth
    No it's not. In every 10-frame cycle you have 7 unique frames and 3 duplicate frames. Not a recipe for smooth motion. That's what you get for starting with 29.97fps rather than 23.976fps, as you should.

But his isn't very good either as there's a ton of blending or ghosted frames. But at least he began with a proper 23.976fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    "Why don't my interpolated videos look as good as examples I see on youtube?"

You must be kidding us here at the forum, right? What makes you think those other samples look good? they look like typical Youtube crap.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    "Why don't my interpolated videos look as good as examples I see on youtube?"

You must be kidding us here at the forum, right? What makes you think those other samples look good? they look like typical Youtube crap.
    I tihink they look fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    When I use handbrake to convert the original m4v file to a mp4 file...
    Don't.
    How do I fix this?
    Don't use Handbrake. Or perhaps use an AssumeFPS line in your AviSYnth script.
    In my video, the camera panning is very smooth
    No it's not. In every 10-frame cycle you have 7 unique frames and 3 duplicate frames. Not a recipe for smooth motion. That's what you get for starting with 29.97fps rather than 23.976fps, as you should.

But his isn't very good either as there's a ton of blending or ghosted frames. But at least he began with a proper 23.976fps video.

I have to convert it, the.m4v file I have doesn't work with svp, it says it has a variable framerate. What should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Make it CFR. How are you opening it? What's your AviSynth script? I already gave one suggestion and that was to use an AssumeFPS in your script. And the source filters, depending on which you use, can also be told to make it CFR.

You do realize, don't you, that every reencode to a lossy codec further degrades the video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Make it CFR. How are you opening it? What's your AviSynth script? I already gave one suggestion and that was to use an AssumeFPS in your script. And the source filters, depending on which you use, can also be told to make it CFR.

You do realize, don't you, that every reencode to a lossy codec further degrades the video quality?
    If I make it CFR isn't that what is causing the problem, the framerate being different to the original?

The script I was using with MEGUI and AVIsynth was this:

Cores=4
    PluginPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\"
    LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"svpflow1.dll")
    LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"svpflow2.dll")
    Import(PluginPath+"InterFrame2.avsi")
    <input>.ConvertToYV12()
    <deinterlace>
    <crop>
    <denoise>
    <resize>
    InterFrame(Cores=Cores, Tuning="Smooth", FrameDouble=true)

I originally tried this:

Cores=4
    SetMemoryMax(512)
    SetMTMode(3,Cores)
    PluginPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\"
    LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"svpflow1.dll")
    LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"svpflow2.dll")
    Import(PluginPath+"InterFrame2.avsi")
    <input>.ConvertToYV12()
    SetMTMode(2)
    <deinterlace>
    <crop>
    <denoise>
    <resize>
    InterFrame(Cores=Cores, Tuning="Smooth", FrameDouble=true)

However that didn't work because of lines 2, 3 and 9.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Changing frame rate doesn't necessarily cause A/V sync errors. Frames can be duplicated or discarded to make up the difference. Or each frame can be displayed for a different amount time. In the former case there is no change in running time. In the latter case the running time is different.

That is unrelated to CFR/VFR encoding. In a CFR video every frame is displayed for the same amount of time. In a VFR video frames can be displayed for different lengths of time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Changing frame rate doesn't necessarily cause A/V sync errors. Frames can be duplicated or discarded to make up the difference. Or each frame can be displayed for a different amount time. In the former case there is no change in running time. In the latter case the running time is different.

That is unrelated to CFR/VFR encoding. In a CFR video every frame is displayed for the same amount of time. In a VFR video frames can be displayed for different lengths of time.
    Can you perform interpolation on a video with variable framerate? As SVP doesn't seem to allow it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post a 10 - 15 second sample of your source, a clip showing some steady movement would be best.
    Try avidemux in copy mode to cut this clip
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Post a 10 - 15 second sample of your source, a clip showing some steady movement would be best.
    Try avidemux in copy mode to cut this clip
    Does that program support m4v files?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it does
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    yes it does

I will download that program and get a clip toworrow morning (it's 11pm where I am now).

Is it possible that the person who made the YouTube video was using a file from a blu ray disk? Would the video from there be different?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    Is it possible that the person who made the YouTube video was using a file from a blu ray disk?
    What's important is he was using a 23.976fps source, as he should have, and as I already told you. I don't know if it was from a Blu-Ray or not, but I suppose it was. Your source for the interpolation should also be 23.976fps. If it's not to begin with, make it so with an IVTC or Decimation by itself.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Is it possible that the person who made the YouTube video was using a file from a blu ray disk?
    What's important is he was using a 23.976fps source, as he should have, and as I already told you. I don't know if it was from a Blu-Ray or not, but I suppose it was. Your source for the interpolation should also be 23.976fps. If it's not to begin with, make it so with an IVTC or Decimation by itself.
    Would a blu ray produce a better final interpolated video than an itunes or Google play download would? Not referring to the resolution, just the framerate.

My original source is at 23.976008fps, I assume that is okay as well. Would a blu ray be the same framerate?
    Quote Quote  
  17. A Blu-ray source is probably going to have much better quality than something you download from youtube or itunes. That will probably get you better motion interpolation because there is more detail with which to identify motion, and fewer artifacts to disguise motion.

Youtube downloads are usually 29.97 fps with duplicate frames, or worse, blended fields. I don't know about itunes. Duplicate frames can sometimes be hard to remove because compression artifacts make them look unique. So decimation filters may remove the wrong frames.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    My original source is at 23.976008fps...
    Then why make it 29.97fps with dupe frames before interpolating to 59.94fps?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    My original source is at 23.976008fps...
    Then why make it 29.97fps with dupe frames before interpolating to 59.94fps?
    I don't mean to change the framerate, but SVP won't accept my origin source, I have to handbrake it and then run it through any video converter first. And no matter what settings I choose in handbrake, it changes the framerate for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A Blu-ray source is probably going to have much better quality than something you download from youtube or itunes. That will probably get you better motion interpolation because there is more detail with which to identify motion, and fewer artifacts to disguise motion.

Youtube downloads are usually 29.97 fps with duplicate frames, or worse, blended fields. I don't know about itunes. Duplicate frames can sometimes be hard to remove because compression artifacts make them look unique. So decimation filters may remove the wrong frames.
    Does this mean it is not possible for me to get it to look as good as the linked YouTube video unless I buy a blu ray and a blu ray reader?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    yes it does
    I downloaded avidemux, and opened the video in it, but it didt't work properly. The preview windows is all green. Another m4v file worked, but the one I need to work didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    I downloaded avidemux, and opened the video in it, but it didt't work properly. The preview windows is all green.
    Ignore the problem and try saving a segment (audio and video set to copy). See if the resulting file plays properly.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I downloaded avidemux, and opened the video in it, but it didt't work properly. The preview windows is all green.
    Ignore the problem and try saving a segment (audio and video set to copy). See if the resulting file plays properly.
    I tried that before, it didn't work unfortunately. When I pressed the "A" marker button it did nothing, if I pressed play it went back to the start and stayed at 00:00:00.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I am really confused as to why these program keep changing the framerate. I managed to find a program that can trim video, MPEG Stream clip, I think it was suggested here somewhere. Here is the clip I got: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzW7zaE4WHtzhdalD

However, according to VLC, that clip is 23.976216fps, despite the original which I cut it from being 23.976008.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Your video is encoded as variable frame rate. The rate reported by various programs is just a estimate of the average. Fortunately, it looks like it's really 24000/1001 constant fps. The character animation is the same frame rate as the film, 23.976 fps. SVP delivers pretty much the same as that youtube video.

Code:
    LSMASHVideoSource("C:\Users\John\Downloads\cutsection.mp4") 
    AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}")
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{block:{w:16}}") # 16 is the default, you can try 8, 24, and 32 also
    SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a bit OT but I'm confused about the use of the word 'interpolation' in this thread. I thought ALL encoding basically involved a lot of matrix processing and interpolation. Is there something special about its use here?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your video is encoded as variable frame rate. The rate reported by various programs is just a estimate of the average. Fortunately, it looks like it's really 24000/1001 constant fps. The character animation is the same frame rate as the film, 23.976 fps. SVP delivers pretty much the same as that youtube video.

Code:
    LSMASHVideoSource("C:\Users\John\Downloads\cutsection.mp4") 
    AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}")
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{block:{w:16}}") # 16 is the default, you can try 8, 24, and 32 also
    SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1)
    So the files I did with handbrake were actually the right framerate? Then why did they look bad? I did lots of testing with handbrake, I set it to 30fps and I did some testing with it set to source framerate, and both of the results looked tbe same after being put through megui.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    This is a bit OT but I'm confused about the use of the word 'interpolation' in this thread. I thought ALL encoding basically involved a lot of matrix processing and interpolation. Is there something special about its use here?
    By interpolation I mean framerate interpolation, i.e. Using an algorithm to estimate new frames in between existing ones in order to make the videos appear smoother. A lot of modern TVs do it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Motion interpolation or compensation as used here is about analyzing motion between frames to produce intermediate frames with intermediate motion. For example, if the camera rotated 5 degrees from one frame to the next, you can produce a frame between them where the camera rotated 2.5 degrees. The goal is to produce a higher frame rate video with smoother motion.

Motion analysis during compression is about using motion vectors to reduce the bitrate requirement. It takes fewer bits to say "move this block of pixels from x,y, to x',y'" than it does to reencode the block. No new frames are produced.
    Quote Quote