VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. That script uses the free SVP AviSynth plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That script uses the free SVP AviSynth plugin.
    I have done more comparisons of the interpolated video, and it is still not quite as smooth as the YouTube one. I was wondering if this is because of the CRF value I was using. I set it to 12.5. The final video is about 5.5GB, however the original is 3.5GB, and as seen as the script was changing 24fps to 60fps, shouldn't the file be 2.5 times the size of the original? Could this be affected the quality of the interpolation?
    Quote Quote  
  3. File size isn't directly proportional to frame rate. With CRF encoding file size depends on video complexity. Also, x264 is frame rate aware. It uses lower quantizers (fewer bits per frame, lower quality) with higher frame rates on the assumption that defects are less visible when frames are displayed for shorter periods of time. In any case, at CRF 12.5 you would be hard pressed to see any differences between the image before compress and after, even when A/B switching enlarged still frames. If anything, the higher bitrate and frame rate may lead to playback problems if your computer isn't fast enough.

Try viewing the youtube video and your video interleaved in an editor.

Code:
    v1 = LSmashVideoSource("youtube.mp4")
    v2 = LSmashVideoSource("yourvideo.mp4")
    Interleave(v1, v2)
    See what's different. You may need to Loop() or Trim() to sync the two.

You can also play around with the SVP parameters to fine tune for you particular video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jul 2018 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    What makes you think those other samples look good?
    That was my question.
    The Youtube video has judder and blending. Not horrible, but not smooth.

At least it's not another "how to convert VHS to 1080p60 HD" thread.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    File size isn't directly proportional to frame rate. With CRF encoding file size depends on video complexity. Also, x264 is frame rate aware. It uses lower quantizers (fewer bits per frame, lower quality) with higher frame rates on the assumption that defects are less visible when frames are displayed for shorter periods of time. In any case, at CRF 12.5 you would be hard pressed to see any differences between the image before compress and after, even when A/B switching enlarged still frames. If anything, the higher bitrate and frame rate may lead to playback problems if your computer isn't fast enough.

Code:
    Interleave(v1, v2)

You can also play around with the SVP parameters to fine tune for you particular video.
    I will try that when I get back home in a few hours. After watching the interpolated video a bit more, it does look smooth, but it seems to look smoother when something is close to the camera. e.g. If somebody is quite close to the camera and talking, they will look smooth, however, if there are a few people moving around and they are a bit further away from the camera, it looks less smooth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    What makes you think those other samples look good?
    That was my question.
    The Youtube video has judder and blending. Not horrible, but not smooth.

At least it's not another "how to convert VHS to 1080p60 HD" thread.
    I think the video looks quite smooth, maybe I notice judder less than most people. I always prefer a higher framerate even if it comes at the cost of a few artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    File size isn't directly proportional to frame rate. With CRF encoding file size depends on video complexity. Also, x264 is frame rate aware. It uses lower quantizers (fewer bits per frame, lower quality) with higher frame rates on the assumption that defects are less visible when frames are displayed for shorter periods of time. In any case, at CRF 12.5 you would be hard pressed to see any differences between the image before compress and after, even when A/B switching enlarged still frames. If anything, the higher bitrate and frame rate may lead to playback problems if your computer isn't fast enough.

Code:
    Interleave(v1, v2)

It wouldn't let me interleave them as my video is 1280 by 568 and the youtube one is 1280 by 570.

This is the interpolation I performed using the script you gave me: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzjel-jTLO5Q0aDcR

Link to the original video I was making comparisons to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAPWqXT5Xg&t=0s&list=PLDI099fjeNZQ62kuezlbtDCPRjOB-_7UA&index=4

Sometimes it look the same and sometimes my version doesn't look quite as good (a good example of this is between 1:10 and 1:30, and also at 1:52 when the bridge is formed) at these points it doesn't look as good as the youtube video.

(Sorry about the lack of audio in the file I did, meGUI takes it out and I forgot to add it back in)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    It wouldn't let me interleave them as my video is 1280 by 568 and the youtube one is 1280 by 570.
    then add two lines of border to the smaller video (AddBorders(0,0,0,2). Or remove two from the taller (Crop(0,0,-0,-2).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    then add two lines of border to the smaller video (AddBorders(0,0,0,2). Or remove two from the taller (Crop(0,0,-0,-2).
    I added that line in and it works, however the output video is flickering. Also I am not sure what I am looking for in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If the two videos aren't exactly in sync you need to get them in sync by removing (Trim()) some frames from the one that starts earlier. Then you step through the two videos frame by frame to view the differences.

I did this with your video and one downloaded from youtube.

Code:
    v1 = LSmashVideoSource("interpolation youtube.mp4").Subtitle("youtube")
    v2 = LSmashVideoSource("interpolation.mp4").AddBorders(0,0,0,2).Trim(119,0).Subtitle("bradwiggo")
    Interleave(v1,v2)
    Your video has some duplicate frames for some reason. Make sure you have a recent version of SVP.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If the two videos aren't exactly in sync you need to get them in sync by removing (Trim()) some frames from the one that starts earlier. Then you step through the two videos frame by frame to view the differences.

I did this with your video and one downloaded from youtube.

Code:
    v1 = LSmashVideoSource("interpolation youtube.mp4").Subtitle("youtube")
    v2 = LSmashVideoSource("interpolation.mp4").AddBorders(0,0,0,2).Trim(119,0).Subtitle("bradwiggo")
    Interleave(v1,v2)
    Your video has some duplicate frames for some reason. Make sure you have a recent version of SVP.
    I bought SVP only a few weeks ago, so I assume the version I had was the latest one. I refunded SVP Pro, do I only need the free version for this?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Make sure you have a recent version of SVP.
    I bought SVP only a few weeks ago, so I assume the version I had was the latest one.
    Did that install the AviSynth SVP plugins? Look for SVPFLOW1.DLL and SVPFLOW2.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder. Check the date. Or maybe you need an older version. The files I have are two years old. (Actually, I just updated to the latest but I don't have your source to test.)

Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
    I refunded SVP Pro, do I only need the free version for this?
    The AviSynth plugins have limitations but they are free.

By the way, you can use StackVertical(v1, v2) or StackHorizontal(v1, v2), instead of Interleave(v1, v2). Though you may not be able to see all of both images if your desktop resolution isn't high enough.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jul 2018 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I was just looking through the SVP docs. Switching to scene mode 1 might give you smoother results.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I was just looking through the SVP docs. Switching to scene mode 1 might give you smoother results.
    How do I do that? Do I add it to the end of the SVSmoothFPS line?
    Quote Quote  
  15. SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2, scene:{mode:1}}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did you got any good result out of it?
    Is hard not to notice the amount of artifacts on the screen.

Master 24 fps

Interpolation 1
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2)
    super=MSuper(pel=1, hpad=0, vpad=0)
    backward_1=MAnalyse(super, chroma=false, isb=true, blksize=16, blksizev=16, searchparam=3, plevel=0, search=3, badrange=(-24))
    forward_1=MAnalyse(super, chroma=false, isb=false, blksize=16, blksizev=16, searchparam=3, plevel=0, search=3, badrange=(-24))
    backward_2 = MRecalculate(super, chroma=false, backward_1, blksize=8, blksizev=8, searchparam=0, search=3)
    forward_2 = MRecalculate(super, chroma=false, forward_1, blksize=8, blksizev=8, searchparam=0, search=3)
    MBlockFps(super, backward_2, forward_2, num=FramerateNumerator(last)*2, den=FramerateDenominator(last)*1, mode=2)

Interpolation 2 60 fps
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2)
    InterFrame(Tuning="Smooth", GPU=true, Cores=16)

Interpolation 2a 120 fps
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2)
    InterFrame(Tuning="Smooth", GPU=true, Cores=16, NewNum=120000, NewDen=1001)

Interpolation 3 60 fps
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2)
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}")
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{block:{w:16}}") # 16 is the default, you can try 8, 24, and 32 also
    SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2, scene:{mode:1}}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1)

Interpolation 3a 60 fps
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2)
    super=SVSuper("{gpu:0}")
    vectors=SVAnalyse(super, "{block:{w:16}}") # 16 is the default, you can try 8, 24, and 32 also
    SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{rate:{num:5, den:2, algo:2, scene:{mode:0}}}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=1)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, some of the other motion interpolation filters do a little better with that type of material. They resort to blending rather than gross distortions when they are unable to locate clean motion vectors.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, possible.
    Do you have something else to try out?

My Sony Bravia TV call this MotionFlow & Cinemotion, I was never a big fan of it because of this artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  19. FrameRateConverter()
    Interframe() # variations on svp
    Quote Quote  
  20. For regular use, both gives similar results on generic scenes.
    If you try to benchmark it at scenes with a lot of motion or objects moving all over the place both fail the same way independent of the options of choice.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Here's what frame rate converter gives for that frame:

Code:
    FrameRateConverter(Preset="normal", BlkSize=8, NewNum=60000, newDen=1001)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	frc.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	46090

It delivered a simple blend of the two original frames around it rather than giving weird distortions from bad motion vectors:

Name:	first.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	46091

Name:	second.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	46092

When FrameRateConverter() can't make sense of the motion vectors it resorts to blending rather than motion interpolation.

Motion vectors from SVP:

Name:	mv.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	46093
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Jul 2018 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Looking better [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    FrameRateConverter()
    Interframe() # variations on svp
    I tried adding the scene mode argument, it made it a bit better. I remember you said I have duplicate frames, what would be the best way to fix that?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I don't think the duplicate frames In your latest sample are in the source. They were caused by SVP. Changing scene mode should have reduced the number of those duplicate frames. Step through your source and converted video frame by frame to verify.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think the duplicate frames In your latest sample are in the source. They were caused by SVP. Changing scene mode should have reduced the number of those duplicate frames. Step through your source and converted video frame by frame to verify.
    I will try that when I get home in a few days,

If there are no duplicate frames, what could be causing it to be not as smooth as the YouTube video?
    Quote Quote  
  26. There are many controls in all the motion interpolators that can give smoother or rougher motion. In general, when the motion isn't clear to the interpolator you can blend (less smooth but less distortion) instead of interpolating motion (smoother but more distortions).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are many controls in all the motion interpolators that can give smoother or rougher motion. In general, when the motion isn't clear to the interpolator you can blend (less smooth but less distortion) instead of interpolating motion (smoother but more distortions).
    So if it doesn't look as smooth it might be because blending is enabled. (I know enabled is the wrong name as it doesn't quite work like that).

The file I am interpolating is 720p (568x1280 technically), would the interpolation be better if I used the 1080p version?
    Last edited by bradwiggo; 18th Jul 2018 at 18:49.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are many controls in all the motion interpolators that can give smoother or rougher motion. In general, when the motion isn't clear to the interpolator you can blend (less smooth but less distortion) instead of interpolating motion (smoother but more distortions).

I made used the scene mode argument and it made this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzjpQLo1axA8V3dqT

Comparing it to the original linked youtube video, I don't think it looks quite as good. I have been going through the video frame by frame and I can't see any frames that are the same, everytime I press the button to move another frame I see something on screen change. (they were a few duplicate frames, but only about 3 in about 30 seconds of footage).
    Quote Quote  
  29. There are still duplicate frames in that video. For example frame numbers:

6812, 6813

By the way, the youtube video shows blending rather than duplicate frames there.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Jul 2018 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There are still duplicate frames in that video. For example frame numbers:

6812, 6813

By the way, the youtube video shows blending rather than duplicate frames there.
    I thought blending made it look less smooth, in which case why does the youtube video look more smooth?

How should I fix the problem of duplicate frames?

I opened the video I posted in my last comment in mpc hc, and the framerate was changing as it played, is this a problem?

I looked into the scene mode argument more, and on the SVP wiki it said scene mode 0 provided the smoothest interpolation, so I tried that: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzjtKbaesskQlQIPg

I also realised I never posted the source video (the source video I am posting now was cut using mpeg streamclip, the others were cut using lossless cut, I don't know if that matters): https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiOx2LWATSlvzjxoZFpKvN_R2yu_
    Quote Quote