VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I use this app to reduce file size of huge bitrate mkv. Typically I :

clik -> MKV button

drag/drop an mkv file

only change (reduce) the bitrate (all else are defaults)

clik start

When done I only have one audio. When a file has 2 or more audio how do I configure this app to keep them?

-thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Some converters simply don't support more than one audio stream.

By the way, did you notice the warning on the Format Factory download page that it may install ad-ware if you are not careful?

I would recommend trying really free and clean converters instead...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^
    thx 4 reply.

yes, i am aware of ff's adware potential. I have used this for years and only now have a need for multi-audio.

I will consider your 'really free' recommendations. My only other requirement is the ability to change the bitrate. Please proceed ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just use MkvToonNix to mux the audio tracks you want after conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    There are several free and powerful converters out there. Some are based on AviSynth, others on ffmpeg (which you may even use directly on the console if you manage to dig through its complex CLI option set).

An AviSynth based converter will have to demultiplex the audio tracks to separate files, to re-multiplex them back to your shrinked video. That may often work reliably, but sometimes you may have to fix asynchronity. Anyway, you can probably use MeGUI (using its internal tools "HD Streams Extractor" and "AVS Script Creator" to manually create jobs to be processed in a queue; I don't know how well the simpler operation modes handle your case).

In general, ffmpeg based converters may be preferable because they may be able to process the whole content of the media file without demultiplexing single streams from the container. If they detect the contained audio streams correctly, you can set their processing modes to "copy". According to their description, the multi OS converter HandBrake or the Windows optimized brother VidCoder may be suitable; also you may try Selur's Hybrid. And, as already mentioned, ffmpeg with a complex console options set, which I may not be able to construct right here, right now...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    ... if you manage to dig through its complex CLI option set)....
    I guess you missed the 'dummy' in the topic title. Nonetheless, thank you all for the advice. I am now testing a few I found on this site's Software page. So far, they are meeting my requirements.

- laters
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you are happy with the program you're currently using and only want to add another audio track, you can continue use the program and just add the audio track when it's done. See post #4. It will only take a minute to learn how to use the program and create a new file with as many audio tracks as you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, thank you for that suggestion. I will continue to use FF for my other needs. However, as I stated, the software I am currently testing is doing what I desire. In fact, they seem to have all the same functionality as FF, and more to boot. For me, it is unacceptable to perform additional steps and use additional software to recover what never should have been 'lost' to begin with.

(btw, I do use mkvtoolnix, love it for my 'simple' needs, and if it could re-encode these huge mkv's to lower bitrates (can it? -remember, I'm the dummy) this post would not exist)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    (btw, I do use mkvtoolnix, love it for my 'simple' needs, and if it could re-encode these huge mkv's to lower bitrates (can it? -remember, I'm the dummy) this post would not exist)
    MKVTookNix cannot re-encode anything. It can only (re)mux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    MKVTookNix cannot re-encode anything. It can only (re)mux.
    thought so, ... -thx
    Quote Quote