VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,

I have some videos on an old MiniDV camcorder that I offloaded into AVI files. It broke the 40 minute video into 4 files. three of them are 12:30 and the last one is 3:32. If I open up any of the individual files, they all show the correct length.

I added the first file into VirtualDub just fine. I then did the Append AVI segment and selected the second one. That inflated my video from 12:30 to 41:04 instead of 25:00 like it should have. The total frames also jumped from 22500 to 73868 instead of 45000. Adding the third 12:30 file jumped the total up to 57:07.

I've never had this problem before. Can anyone recommend what might be causing this?

The end result I need is an MP4 file that is a combination of the 4 files I have. Normally I do it in two steps (Join and then Convert) but I'm open to other options if anyone has them.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try AVIDemux instead. What format of AVI did you offload the files? DV AVI or other?

Uploading a small clip of the offloaded files to our site would help considerably. Or at least a MediaInfo text info file of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. By default VirtualDub automatically appends all sequentially numbered files when you append. So if you have file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and file4.avi, and you open file1.avi, then append file2.avi, file3.avi and file4.avi will automatically be appended too. Notice at the bottom of the append dialog there's the option "Autodetect additional segments by filename".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, maybe that's what it was doing. A few of the files did have numbers at the end like 1, 2, 3. SO maybe it was appending all of them and I didn't notice. I ended up using AVIDemux instead since I had that as well and it seemed to work just fine. I'll keep that in mind for next time though.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Notice how the running time added up to that of all four clips after appending the second.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Notice how the running time added up to that of all four clips after appending the second.
    Well yeah, I notice that now after you pointed it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could also depend on how you cut up the files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't cut up the files. WinDV seemed to break them into chunks on its own.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
    I didn't cut up the files. WinDV seemed to break them into chunks on its own.
    And you can easily stop that from happening by extending the number of frames it's allowed to capture before splitting.
    Quote Quote