VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am using a GoPro as a backup to my primary camera (Panasonic AG-DVX 200) and need the settings to match. I had planned on shooting UHD on the Panasonic (which is higher res than the 1080 FHD). However, I don’t see a UHD option on my GoPro Hero 6. I’m left with the following choices on the GoPro: 4K, 4K 4:3, 2.7K, 1440, 1080, 720. Obviously, I won't be using the latter but I'm not sure which setting will match the UHD footage that I'll be using on my primary camera.
    Any advice is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You seem to be focusing only on the resolution. A bigger issue is the frame rate. It is advisable to match that because it is a lot easier to up- or down-res than it is to convert 24p to 60p, or 29.97 interlaced to 24p, etc. Many of the high-res options on action cams only give you that higher resolution at one frame rate, often 24 fps.

The other issue in "matching" is color matching. I just did a four-camera shoot of a wedding, using my Sony Action cam behind the couple, facing the congregation. I was able to match the frame rate, and got pretty close to matching the colors on my other cameras by setting them all to the pre-set outdoor white balance.

Yet another issue is fisheye correction. One reason I have a Sony Action cam rather than GoPro is that it has far less fisheye. If you don't correct for fisheye, and if you are planning to intermix footage from different cameras, it will be quite jarring when you cut to the action camera and all the vertical lines suddenly become warped.

So, match the frame rates and take whatever resolution you get. Remember, with any action camera, the quality stinks compared to a high-end semi-pro camera like your DVX200. I too shoot with an older, but similar style camera, and the plastic lens in the action camera is no match for the great glass you get in your main camera.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you John. I'm not focused on the frame rate in this post because I already have matching frame rates for both cameras (24p), so that's not an issue. I only need to know which resolution setting will come the closest to matching the UHD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Use the 4K setting. They will both be 3840 × 2160.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks JVRaines!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Use the 4K setting. They will both be 3840 × 2160.
    Is that all he was asking?? Heck, that should be on the first page of the user manual. That question is so trivial I didn't even consider that someone would have to ask it. That's why I answered with all the other stuff.

A simple Google search provides the result:

Go Pro Hero 6 Resolution

Click on that link and get this:

Video Resolution Frames Per Second (fps) - NTSC [PAL] Screen Resolution
    4K 60 [50] 3840x2160
    30, 24 [25, 24] 3840x2160
    4k 4:3 30, 24 [25, 24] 4096x3072
    2.7K 120 [100] 2704x1520
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    John,
    Do you always feel the need to be such a condescending ass? It was a simple question. The frame rate is far more elementary, and notice I didn't ask about that (despite the fact that you felt the need to give an answer anyway). I'm not stupid. I have a PhD in etymology and linguistics, but video isn't my field of expertise (and I didn't see a UHD option on the GoPro). The last time I filmed anything myself, standard resolution was 720x480.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dcoatney View Post
    John,
    Do you always feel the need to be such a condescending ass? It was a simple question. The frame rate is far more elementary, and notice I didn't ask about that (despite the fact that you felt the need to give an answer anyway). I'm not stupid. I have a PhD in etymology and linguistics, but video isn't my field of expertise (and I didn't see a UHD option on the GoPro). The last time I filmed anything myself, standard resolution was 720x480.
    Was I being a "condescending ass" when I wrote my initial response? It took several minutes to write that, and do that work for a perfect stranger.

Go back and re-read it, and if you can find one whiff of condescension in that reply, let me know.

The reason for my annoyance, to which I will readily admit, and which is a more accurate and less inflammatory word to describe my pique, is that you could have easily gotten the answer on your own and saved other people from taking time out of their day to help you with a question that simply did not need to be asked in the first place.

But, now that I know how you feel about me (you actually said that I am "always" an ass which, presumably means that you've held this opinion for some time), I certainly won't make the mistake of trying to help you again. Plus, with a PhD in such an amazingly difficult field, I now know that I am most definitely out of my league.

P.S. I do, however, enjoy the irony of a person who accuses someone else of condescension, pulling out his PhD for his reply. No condescension there, I'm sure.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 24th Jun 2018 at 18:54. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In the world of video recording (as opposed to digital cinema), and consumer video display, 4k = UHD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Cornucopia!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    John,
    It was not your original post that was condescending but rather your snarky reply to JV, and I think you know that. "Are you always" is used as an idiomatic expression, but I think you know that as well.

Your attempts to belittle me for not already knowing the answer to the question made you look ridiculous; not me. If I already knew the answer, why would I come to a forum to ask the question? Isn't that the purpose of a "forum"?

Thank you again JVRaines for your more than adequate answer. It is much appreciated.
    Last edited by dcoatney; 25th Jun 2018 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    You're welcome, dcoatney. By the way, if you peruse his message history, you will find that johnmeyer is indeed one of our most knowledgeable participants. While I agree that replying with the equivalent of "that's a stupid question" is inappropriate in a newbie forum, I would remind everyone that lashing out does not improve anyone's day.
    Quote Quote