VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Goal: Trying to avoid unnecessary transcoding due to eac3 audio streams on some mkv files in my library by adding a second (converted/transcoded) ac3 audio stream to mkv files. (While still preserving original mkv/eac3 streams)

Disclaimer: I’m new to this sort of thing and the only method I’ve found that works is to manually use these GUI apps with the following steps...

Current Working Method:
    1. Using UsEac3To:
    a. Demux mkv video & eac3 audio streams
    b. Use libAften to encode a new ac3 stream from the demuxed eac3 stream
    2. Using MKVToolNix GUI:
    a. Use "multiplexing" task to remux mkv video stream and eac3/ac3 audio streams (ac3 set to default audio track)

Result: Mkv file with 2 audio streams (default set to ac3) able to direct stream without the need for transcoding.

Problem: This is far too many steps if I'm trying to convert an entire season. I have hundreds of files that could benefit from the addition of a default ac3 audio track.

Failed attempts using existing AIO tools...
    1. Attempts using PopCorn MKV AudioConverter failed (Received "VideoTrack Not Found!" error, using latest version w/all necessary tools downloaded)
    2. Attempts using MKV2AC3 failed (Fails to convert audio stream to ac3)

Questions:
    1. Are there any other tools with which I can accomplish this?
    2. How difficult would it be to create something like a batch file that I could drop video files onto in order to create the desired result? (Something that could do batch processing within a folder would be amazing)

Any direction here would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance if I used any incorrect terminology. Please let me know of any errors and I'll clarify/fix them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Given that Aften is based on ffmpeg's A52 encoder, can't you just use ffmpeg? You could perform the entire process with a single ffmpeg command line.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Given that Aften is based on ffmpeg's A52 encoder, can't you just use ffmpeg? You could perform the entire process with a single ffmpeg command line.
    You're absolutely correct. After giving it another look, I was able to replicate the same results utilizing ffmpeg.

I also found that myFFmpeg makes for easy batch editing as well.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You had the exact same problem i do!! And your initial solution mine too - however I was not so intrepid as you with your final solution
    Would you please share the command line you used for ffmpeg - i am not so familiar with that
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote