VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

please be simple: I'm a cat - thank you.

I need to do a batch that verify if a specific codec is installed on windows (I have windows 10 64 bit, but some VFW codec is 32bit) and if is "usable".

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Powershell, and other scripting formats that access the registry, can be crafted to test the existence of certain registry keys or data elements.
    However, since each codec would have a different location and/or guid, it wouldn't be possible to create a universal script unless it defined each codec's options/specification and did a major CASE list.

What you could do is just enumerate the installed codecs. Again a Powershell script would need to be crafted, and YOU would have to do that.

Or you could just download and run one of many apps available that already can enumerate installed codecs. No "scripting" necessary.

But when you say "usable", you would have to define usable by WHAT?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. 32bit applications can use 32bit vfw codecs.
    64bit applications can use 64bit vfw codecs.
    Both 32bit and 64bit vfw codecs are referenced in different location in the registry:
    • 32bit vfw codecs on 32bit system : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
    • 64bit vfw codecs on 64bit system : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
    • 32bit vfw codecs on 64bit system : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote