VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I encode with x264 since many years, I know well its parameters. Recently, I get some videos difficult to encode, because there are many artifacts, crispy image, and when I try to encode these videos, these artifacts are still present and the result is ugly. Bellow a sample uncompressed with the artifacts at the top of the image.

Please, could you help me to set the x264 parameters in order to reduce these artifacts? I wish result in almost HD@1Mbps. Thanks in advance!

Original video : LINK
    Compressed video : LINK
    The sample @1Mbps is encoded with the following x264 parameters:

cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1,00:0,00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1000 / ratetol=1,0 / qcomp=0,60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20,0 / qblur=0,5 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1,40 / aq=1:1,00
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I had something like that happen recently. A highly detailed, very contrasty black-and-white image. Rather than dink around with encoding params, I just gave it a very slight blur in my NLE. Barely discernable in the final application and it encoded perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would try with the following changes.... though I'm afraid 1Mbps might be just too low a bitrate for such motion-heavy video at that res.

ref=4
    deblock=1:1:1 (or maybe even 1:2:2)
    me_range=16
    keyint_min=1

Should give you at least a more pleasant looking result I hope...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Maxime View Post
    ....I wish result in almost HD@1Mbps.....
    [/B]
    That will be difficult without nuking details. Depends what you understand by "almost HD".
    You could apply a filter like
    Code:
    fft3dfilter(3.5)
    which will kill most of the artifacts of the source you mention, but unfortunately also some details.

If you don't want to apply an avisynth noise filter you could also try the x264 internal noise filter --nr xxx which will improve compressability significantly.

At this low bitrate you may also use x265 (HEVC) instead of x264 as an encoder.
    Last edited by Sharc; 19th Jun 2018 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote