VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm installing this MSI DE200 "net-top" with Atom 330, which is too weak to play anything (maybe 720p). Been hoping to use the embedded Radeon HD 4330M for the task but both VLC and MPC-HC only show green (black) screen with no video. Tried several MKV-contained files of different levels (4.1-5.1), nothing. The graphics has a potential to still make this bloody thing usefull for some light work including playing movies, but I just cannot make it output any picture. Got Win 7 HP x86-64 there with only 2 GB RAM (not more supported) but I've put an SSD in for much faster SWAPping. It runs quite nicely with it.

Drivers are the lasted Catalyst 13.9. I tried reinstalling it without the transcoding and decoding stuff which comes with but no joy. DXVA checker shows support correctly as well as GPU-Z does. Tried several combinations of encoders and outputs, no change whatsoever. Installed latest DirectX stuff too (as some sources claimed there is no DX9 in Vista/7 which is strange but who knows). Any idea what the problem may be?

I can run games outta Steam on it (well, it is too weak to play even NWN:EE, but HL2:LC seemed to run so-so with lowered details). Just this bloody video.

ADD// I've came accross this https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/radeon-hd4000-series-dxva-fully-restored-under-win7-8-10.414275/, does that mean there's some problem with DXVA and 7 using these new drivers? WOuld not be surprised, both AMD and Lievidia constantly screw features on old cards in new drivers.
    Last edited by Behemot; 15th Jun 2018 at 14:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Tried the procedure of creating my own driver, same result. Also tried to install the recommended K-Lite version (incl. MPC-HC), no change either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you attempting to use the 'over-clocking' feature of the video card ?

I have similar card - same drivers - but would not even dream to attempt to oc it.

BTW Win7 has DirectX pre-installed (11). No need or benefit trying to install another one. Run dxdiag to check your system.

And installing codec packs will guarantee screwing your system even more.

BTW Do you have both built-in graphics plus a standard video card plugged in to a slot ? Possible conflict if you have and one should be dis-connected in the bios.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What card? I stated it's that microcomputer, it has mobile core soldered onboard with some memory chips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My bad. I did not appreciate what that MSI was. I do now.

I do not see others jumping in to assist so you are stuck with me right now.

You say you have 2 gb of ram. That, of course, is a bare minimum to run Win7-64 (although it is not absolutely clear that is your OS). Does this mini-pc have any dedicated video memory ? If not you will have to share system ram which then reduces available ram for the system. My own video card only has 500 meg of video ram but I can play back HD with ease.

I checked video playback under vlc and hw acceleration is on. But not that, as I already stated, the Catalyst oc.

The 'quick-fix' should be to turn hw acceleration off. But if you really do need it then you should look to see how much video memory is being allocated. I did read that these systems only appear to guarantee useage under WinXP so anything else could be pushing the button.

Just my (final) two cents. Hope that others can come to the party.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As I said, mobile core soldered onboard with some memory chips. That's 256 MB to be exact. That's more than plenty to play FullHD video, the problem is somewhere else. The graphics works fine in other tasks, as illustrated by testing HL2:LC benchmark.
    Quote Quote