VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I connected a usb caddy to my laptop running Ubuntu 12, and a dialog box appeared restricting me access to the HDD. (attached images) of two different HDDs I tried to access with this caddy. Anyone know what this is? and/or has practical experience on how to fix it?
    I also tried to access with Linux Mint with same result and dialog box. This HDD has mostly MOV video files on it, and a day previous to inserting the usb caddy I had installed Openshot and Avidemux on Ubuntu (if that is relevant )? I am using a 1.8 dual core laptop .Any help with this matter welcomed as the HDD have been left to the side until I find someone who has overcome the same problem. Many thanks, Cheers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-12-30 21_49_01.png
Views:	524
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	45878Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-12-25 14-47-49.png
Views:	507
Size:	758.7 KB
ID:	45879
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you run the CHKDSK /F as the message mentions ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never had that problem at least with up to Ubuntu 14.??
    With 'Mint' Mate & Cinnamon, they wouldnt access ntfs hdd's or ntfs formatted 64 gig sd card. Reformatted card to fat32 & that worked.

Anyways, , , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that the nfts filesystem has faults and linux can't mount it properly

do check it like davexnet and the error suggested on a Windows system.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If both attempts were with the same laptop, the other possibility is the USB port can't supply enough current to run the HDD properly. You could try an external power supply or a 'Y' splitter/combiner cable that parallels the supply from two USB sockets.

It does sound more like the disk has errors on it though, I never have problems with external disks here except for on a TV where a combiner cable is needed before the drive will spin up.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My first question is why are you using Ubuntu 12? That went EOL over a year ago and is unsupported. You can't even update the system anymore.

I agree that it's probably hardware issues. The best way to fix problems on NTFS drives is with Windows tools. NTFS is proprietary and as such has "undocumented features", so Linux disk rescue tools aren't really reliable with those.
    Quote Quote