VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I would like to remove the blending in this source. I get decent results with qtgmc.srestore(frate=23.976) but i would like to know if it can be improved.

samples:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/40n08brccnvqvkb/02.demuxed.m2v

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y9vqkd98gku7hrs/01.demuxed.m2v
    Quote Quote  
  2. In addition to the field blending there's some temporal ghosting. I don't see any easy way to get rid of the latter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In addition to the field blending there's some temporal ghosting. I don't see any easy way to get rid of the latter.
    Can you tell me what you mean by temporal ghosting? I'm not sure whether 23.976 is the correct frate. How do i know what's the correct value for frate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by x264 View Post
    I'm not sure whether 23.976 is the correct frate.
    I haven't checked the samples but I have never seen a PAL field-blended source where 23.976fps wasn't the right framerate. Anime is created for 24fps and field-blended PAL videos come from those 24 (or 23.976)fps sources. With NTSC sources there might be other possible 'base' framerates, but not for PAL sources (unless from a silent film).

You can confirm by finding a place where there's movement every frame (like a panning shot) and making sure the movement (after being unblended to 23.976fps) is fluid with no duplicate frames or missing frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, the correct frame rate is 23.976. It could be 24 but that's not likely (it's hard to tell the difference). Field blended PAL videos like this usually come from NTSC video tapes passed through a NTSC->PAL converter that blends fields. So 23.976 is almost always right. The first clip (I haven't looked at the second) has some long motion shots where you can see steady motion at 23.976 -- there are no duplicate frames and no jumps in the motion.

But after restoring the 23.976 frame rate many of the frames contain ghosting of previous or later frames, some mild, some heavy, only of moving parts of the picture. That is temporal ghosting (probably from a bad noise reduction filter). Compare that to spacial ghosting where multipath tv reception results in a ghost that's shift slightly to the right (usually) of the main picture, even on still shots.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the info manono and jagabo. I will stick with qtgmc.srestore(frate=23.976). The ghosting was not noticeable on playback.
    Quote Quote