VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I need to find a solution to recommend to someone who needs to record a conference with a Windows laptop.

I already told him to put the laptop as close to the loudspeaker as possible, since audio is paramount.

What about using a USB webcam instead of the built-in cam?

As for software, are there any free or affordable Windows application for this ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 9th Jun 2018 at 06:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick Google would have answered your query.

Windows 10 already has a built-in app to record your own webcam. The issue is the cam is usually on the front of the screen (to record yourself) so has to be pointed at whatever you wish to record. Turn the laptop around and you can not see the screen to make the required 'clicks' or even ensure you are not recording, for example, a blank wall.

So an external webcam is a more obvious choice as long is there is going to be no clash with the built in one. Only one way to find out.

As for putting the laptop near the loudspeaker. Not a clever idea in my book unless you want to pickup all the electrical feedback and ruin the sound element of the recording.

But as with anything you need to 'rehearse'. Try to do this 'live' as without tryout is a recipe for disaster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks.

No, because I don't know what Windows version he's using. It could be 7 or anything up to 10.

I'll tell him to get a USB webcam and external microphone…and experiment.

What about the application?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it would have helped had you found out first since that piece of info could be vital.

There are many programs capable of recording webcam footage but they all have one thing in common - they record the IP (internet) stream. If the cam sends such a stream then recording is easy.

Otherwise you might have to resort to standard video capture or even record the laptop screen as it displays the video.

Others may have different ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks.

He doesn't need anything fancy: The application must 1) run locally on his Windows laptop, and 2) record the video (USB webcam) and audio (internal or USB) input.

In short, the laptop is just a bigger camcorder… which he doesn't have.

Editing and upload will be done later.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    As for free apps, there are at least VLC and Debut.

I'll tell him to get a USB webcam so he can point while looking at the laptop screen, and plug a basic microphone into the laptop's IN port and put it as close to the loudspeaker as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do bear in mind that a webcam has a low point of focus and will select the nearest moving or stationary object.

So if there were other people between the cam and the speaker you could end up with the speaker out of focus and no way to alter that.

You still do not understand my concerns about placing a mic near a loudspeaker. Go ahead. Don't blame me if it all goes pear-shaped.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I'll tell him to experiment before and check that the audio is OK, as he won't be able to pick up audio directly from the console.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know that this thread is old. But someone observed how the domain of online video conferences evolved? This phenomenon was caused by the COVID-19 pandemic situation. I use Zoom every day, and it's getting better and better each month. Recently, I've tried the services of these guys https://brightvisionevents.co.uk/conferences/live-conference-streaming/. We organized a team-building online conference. Also, they came with a lot of interesting games that I liked. I met a lot of new people that taught me a few tricks in the IT domain.
    Last edited by Alsoar; 6th Apr 2021 at 07:36.
    Quote Quote