VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .ts file that is about 10 GBytes in size - I need to trim a few minutes from the beginning and end. What's the easiest way to do this? Preferably using a free program but I don't mind paying a few coins for something decent that gets the job done.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simplest (and free) program is avidemux (do not worry about the avi bit).

The program has to index the file so a large file will take a minute or two to load. Then you just do an A/B mark edit - A from the start you want to keep and B for the end.

Choose copy for both audio and video and TS muxer for the format and save your new vid
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers, I'll give it a go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried it on a 15 GB file that I had and it worked well.

However, I also have a file that's about 22 GB in size and when I read it in I don't seem able to see past about 25 minutes. File too big for avidemux I guess?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would guess that 15 GB runs more than 25 minutes.

Does the larger one actually play with no issue after on, around and after that time ?

I suspect a faulty recording. You can always try other software such as ts-doctor (free to try)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the 64bit version of AVIDemux? It seems to handle large files a bit better. But I've never tried to edit of 22GB file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, definitely.

If this can't handle the file are there any other programs worth trying, even perhaps one that isn't free? (but not too expensive).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try ts-doctor ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TS-Doctor works well.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, will give that a go.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux never works to edit Transport Streams for me. However, if I convert TS to MKV using Eac3to, AviDemux usually works to edit the MKV. Some TS files I can edit with H264 TS Cutter, which is free. If you only need to trim the beginning and end, TsRemux can usually do that, but you have to play the file in your normal video player and note how many seconds to trim from beginning and ending, then input those times into TsRemux.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. For trimming .ts files I use the free SichboPVR. You can download it from videohelp.

Add the .ts file to the SichboPVR recordings folder (click on 'setup' at the top, then on 'advanced', scroll down to 'Recording Folder' for its default location), click on 'Recordings' (at the top) in SichboPVR, then select the .ts file, then click on 'Edit', the basic video editor will open, drag the bar to the start/end of the trim, click on the 'Cut' button, click on the 'tick' symbol to change to 'X' to disable that part of the recording, etc.

Click on the 'Save' button to save to a folder of your choice in lossless quality (no re-encoding is done).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for that too, it's good to have all these options.
    Quote Quote  
  15. TS is very tricky as open source multiplexer for TS seem to not exist (at least i'm not aware of any open source working multiplexer - very weird as TS is 30 year old).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by V1de0Luvr View Post
    AviDemux never works to edit Transport Streams for me. However, if I convert TS to MKV using Eac3to, AviDemux usually works to edit the MKV.
    I have spent the better part of a week looking for a simple free TS editor. I've been using AviDemux for many years to edit my MKV files but all the forums said although it can edit TS files they usually have A/V sync errors and I tried it and sure enough there are sync errors.....until I realized you can choose the Muxer in the current version and Mpeg TS Muxer (ff) is an option so I tried it and.....Voila! No more audio and video being out of sync so at least I know AviDemux 2.7.5 or new can edit TS files quickly and correctly for free.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ronstang View Post
    AviDemux never works to edit Transport Streams for me. However, if I convert TS to MKV using Eac3to, AviDemux usually works to edit the MKV.
    I have spent the better part of a week looking for a simple free TS editor. I've been using AviDemux for many years to edit my MKV files but all the forums said although it can edit TS files they usually have A/V sync errors and I tried it and sure enough there are sync errors.....until I realized you can choose the Muxer in the current version and Mpeg TS Muxer (ff) is an option so I tried it and.....Voila! No more audio and video being out of sync so at least I know AviDemux 2.7.5 or new can edit TS files quickly and correctly for free.
    Thanks, I tried AviDemux 2.7.5 on an x264 TS and it does appear to work when using the "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)" option.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, I tried AviDemux 2.7.5 on an x264 TS and it does appear to work when using the "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)" option.
    You're welcome. There is lots of reading on this issue but nothing but expensive options. I tried every piece of software suggested that was free and all were a bust. I figured that since I found a solution I would share because there have to be other's out there like me who want to edit my files before I compress them, not afterwards and waste time encoding for no reason.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    AviDemux with "Mpeg TS Muxer (ff)" is awesome! But many of my files I have recorded off TV have errors in them, and AviDemux glitches and does not save the complete file. Is there an option to use "copy" mode for good parts, and to re-encode (with MPEG-2, of course) only the glitchy parts? (BTW, ss MPEG-2 still copyrighted? It is almost 30 years old now.)
    Quote Quote