VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been encoding 1080P mp4 with the H.264 codec using vidcoder with excellent quality and relatively small file size for years and have played around with the advanced settings to make my own presets. I am now wanting to do the same with 2160P mkv files and encode them to mp4. Speed is not an issue where video quality and smaller file size is my priority. I've heard many people use staxrip for H.265 encoding. Both and Staxrip and H.265 encoding are foreign to me.

I would like to know what software people are using for this (Handbrake, Staxrip, etc.)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Staxrip is my choice. You can good fast results using the Nvidia H265 encoder (Nvenc) in Staxrip (if you have a compatible Nvidia graphics card) or you can simply just use x265. x265 is slower but yields better quality, Nvenc is faster by FAR but the quality is only acceptable (VERY acceptable to most eyes, you should test it, especially with a good original HD source). Be careful to change the audio default if you don't want opus audio, but you can of course change and edit the defaults.

Staxrip and other encoder frontends like MeGUI and Hybrid usually demux and index the video and audio streams before you encode. This takes a LONG time and uses a lot of hard drive space unlike vidcoder (and Handbrake...they're the same thing) which encode in place (ffmpeg type).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. In the world of h.264 and vidcoder, I am dialed in. I have adjusted reference frames, adaptive b frames, maximum b-frames, motion estimated method, subpixel motion estimation, motion estimation range and trellis. I set the quality to constant quality 20. With these customized settings, I can take a 30GB 1080P mkv and convert it with vidcoder with these custom settings I just mentioned and produce a 6-10GB mp4 that in my humble opinion looks almost identical to the original file while watching it on my Samsung 70 inch hd tv. My older system with the i7-4770K processor would take 6 hours to encode at these high settings. I built myself a new system with the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X which can do it in 1.5 hours. It seems like vidcoder is not customizable in the advanced settings with h.265. I have a 70GB 2160P mkv file that is 10-bit, Format profile: Main10@L5.1@ High. I would like to encode this to an mp4 file under 10GB if possible while maintaining very high quality. Is that possible and how do I do it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by maverickluke View Post
    Thanks for your reply. In the world of h.264 and vidcoder, I am dialed in. I have adjusted reference frames, adaptive b frames, maximum b-frames, motion estimated method, subpixel motion estimation, motion estimation range and trellis. I set the quality to constant quality 20. With these customized settings, I can take a 30GB 1080P mkv and convert it with vidcoder with these custom settings I just mentioned and produce a 6-10GB mp4 that in my humble opinion looks almost identical to the original file while watching it on my Samsung 70 inch hd tv. My older system with the i7-4770K processor would take 6 hours to encode at these high settings. I built myself a new system with the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X which can do it in 1.5 hours. It seems like vidcoder is not customizable in the advanced settings with h.265. I have a 70GB 2160P mkv file that is 10-bit, Format profile: Main10@L5.1@ High. I would like to encode this to an mp4 file under 10GB if possible while maintaining very high quality. Is that possible and how do I do it?
    how its amd processor running? i mean i read sometime ago , it have a lot power but applications are not optimized for those.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    Originally Posted by maverickluke View Post
    how its amd processor running? i mean i read sometime ago , it have a lot power but applications are not optimized for those.
    The threadripper is meant for video encoding which is what I use it for. Very fast.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have anything they add to the command line to improve 4K H.265 quality and file size? This is something I found on the web that someone added to the command line. Not sure what a lot of this means. Comments and thoughts?

pmode:rd=4:tu-intra-depth=3:rdoq-level=2:early-skip:b-intra:limit-modes:aq-mode=2:aq-strength=1.0:qg-size=16:ipratio=1.38bratio=1.28:me=3:max-merge=3:weightb:bframes=6:rc-lookahead=50:ref=6sy-rdoq=1.38:no-sao
    Last edited by maverickluke; 7th Jun 2018 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote