VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Wanted to manually convert with Avisynth and HCenc. The blu-ray is progressive 24 fps, and I'm wondering the best way to convert to 23.976 for standard dvd video. There's three options: Assume/Convert/ChangeFPS.
    I usually use "Assume" for PAL to NTSC because it will slow it down, but that seems wrong in this case since you want the audio/video to be the same as the film.
    "Change" would delete or duplicate frames which doesnt sound good.
    I'm not sure what "Convert" actually does to change the FPS.
    I've used AVStoDVD in the past but I cant tell which command it uses. I'm not sure if I compared runtime of blu-ray and dvd when using it, so maybe there was a difference.
    One option is to simply encode with given 24 FPS in HCenc (despite its warnings), then run the video results in program DGPulldown which has a "24->29.97" option.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Downscale and convert to prorgressive MPEG 2 at 24.00 fps. Use DgPulldown to add pulldown flags for 24.00->29.97. There will be no change in running time so you don't have to adjust the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely when you use avstodvd, from the title menu select title >> edit title >> avisynth tab. Then you can read what commands are being used.

I also thought that HCenc has a 2:3 pulldown option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I also thought that HCenc has a 2:3 pulldown option.
    It does. It's for 23.976->29.97fps. Here we're starting with 24fps so it's a slightly different kind of pulldown. I have no idea how AvsToDVD handles something like this so, like jagabo, I'd do it myself and apply the pulldown he suggested afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I guess that 2:3 pulldown applied to 24 fps would automatically result in 30 fps. Could that really affect sound sync ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I guess that 2:3 pulldown applied to 24 fps would automatically result in 30 fps. Could that really affect sound sync ?
    No it does not effect audio sync. But 30 fps is not DVD compliant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Accept that.

So I loaded a 30 fps progressive vid into avstodvd with a NTSC video setting.

The avisynth script so produced includes the following line:

Video = Video.ChangeFPS("ntsc_video")

Footnote: But what is to gain from converting from Blu-Ray to dvd ?
    Last edited by DB83; 5th Jun 2018 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also,
    for 24 fps source AVStoDVD includes the pulldown, as can be seen here (excerpt from log):

<6/5/2018 12:27:54 PM>
    END VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Users\davex\Videos\DVDbenn_MrBenn1.m2v (653 MB)
    Ouput Video Info: MPEG-2 Video - 6379 kbps - 720x480 - DAR 4:3 - 24 fps - Progressive (TFF) - 14:19 minutes - 20606 frames
    Avg Video Encoding Speed: 97.7 fps
    <>

<6/5/2018 12:27:54 PM>
    START PULLDOWN OPERATIONS
    DGPulldown Parameters: "C:\Users\davex\Videos\DVDbenn_MrBenn1.m2v" -srcfps 24 -destfps 29.97 -inplace -tff
    <>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys. I'll use the DGPulldown program since jagabo corroborated that solution.
    I was using a 2014 portable version of AVStoDVD. I can only see it's initial avisynth script by right-clicking on the input title, but it doesnt specify the framerate command. Only comments-out that it will upscale the FPS. When I did a sample, the result was 23.976 with pulldown, so it was changing the framerate (rather than keeping the old framerate).
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 5th Jun 2018 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should update to the latest portable, there are many fixes and improvements
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did but got an error that my system was missing something.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VB common controls probably. Run the installer version and it Will take care of it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I wasnt using it in this case. And prefer the portable rather than one more install.
    I am having an issue with loading the blu-ray m2ts in Avisynth (AvsP gui). I thought I should use FFindex but the framerate is slightly off. Using default Directshow yields the correct 24 fps, so I guess I will use that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to install the latest portable there is a BAT file in the LIB sub folder that will install the common controls.
    it's called mscomctl_reg.bat
    If you're going to use directshow make sure you have LAV filters installed and that they're active
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did a sample and seemed to work without LAV. I recall installing and then uninstalling LAV (for whatever reason) awhile ago. Is it really necessary?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Windows 10 it's very much recommended. Not sure about the earlier versions of Windows
    Either that or try AVStoDVD with the FFmpegsource filters
    Quote Quote