VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this isn't too far off topic.

Is there an interchange format for comics/manga, similar in concept to MKV + VIDO + AUDIO + ASS? Subtitles for comics + position of panels, page, chapter, volume?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CBR and CBZ have been common for a while. You could also use any e-reader format (pdf, epub, lit, docx).

There is no ONE format, just as there is no one format in audio, video, subtitles, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those sound like formats for rendering the content. I'm thinking about something that represents, among other things, where subtitles would go when rendering the content. So, for example, a text box could be on:

Text box 4
    Panel 3
    Page 10
    Chapter 4
    Volume 3

And then things like

Panel 3
    X: 300
    Y: 200
    W: 150
    H: 300
    Preceding: None
    Following: Panel 4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Manga Comics are usually scanned, and hard coding the text in your favorite image editor (by removing the kanji in the text bubble and inputing the appropriate translation).CBZs are just zip file of a collection of jpgs that comprise the manga. I don't think there is a soft-sub equivalent of .ass in this case
    Last edited by teodz1984; 5th Jun 2018 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, and currently, all subs formats are referencing overlay planes on top of video background. So the idea of pane/panel has no equivalent.

Scott
    Quote Quote