VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Comic effect?
    Last edited by hello0; 29th Nov 2023 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Comic effect?

in minute 3:07-3:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYJZvHeKFo

I don't see any "effect" at that time ; is this the right link ? or right time ?

I see some paint at the bottom of a swimming pool, and shallow depth of field, but no "comic" effect
    Quote Quote  
  3. I mean the face of that guy looks like oil painting? i dont know what it is
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's called over-compression by youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  5. the effect is called over-compression ? Whats that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is surely overcompression, check wiki
    Quote Quote  
  7. strong spatial filtering end after edge sharpening - i would try some NLM + warpsharp or overload codec (with strong deblock settings)
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is only partial explanation as important is sharpening before compression (at least it was clearly visible on my browser that face oval edge was sharp) - probably video was sharpened (artificially and too much) before encoding and as result it even emphasised visible overcompression effect.
    Quote Quote  
  9. But there is some "oil painting" too - they all wear makeup, eyeliner etc...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah these KPOP male stars are metrosexuals, so they migh use more makeup than your neighbor's daughter ")
    Quote Quote  
  11. thanks for your answers, yes i meant cartoon effect.
    When i want to use cartoonizer in VD, it says Plugin not recognized. Why?

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    strong spatial filtering end after edge sharpening - i would try some NLM + warpsharp or overload codec (with strong deblock settings)
    What is NLM ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    thanks for your answers, yes i meant cartoon effect.
    I'm using Virtualdub 1.10.4 on my 32 bit system, and copied the 'MSU_Cartoonizer.vdf' file from the 'MSU v.3 zip' folder into the 'plugins32' folder in my Virtualdub directory.

(I do have to tick the 'force single frame buffer' box in the 'filter options' or the program crashes.....)

After doing that it all seems to work OK ......
    Last edited by pippas; 6th Jun 2018 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    strong spatial filtering end after edge sharpening - i would try some NLM + warpsharp or overload codec (with strong deblock settings)
    What is NLM ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-local_means

I haven't seen one for VirtualDub. Try a 2d noise reduction filter with a large radius, moderate threshold. Like Jim Casaburi's 2d Cleaner.

Re. MSU Cartoonizer: make sure you have the rigth "bitness". 32 bit filter for 32 bit Virtualdub, or 64 bit filter for 64 bit VirtualDub.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Jun 2018 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    thanks for your answers, yes i meant cartoon effect.
    I'm using Virtualdub 1.10.4 on my 32 bit system, and copied the 'MSU_Cartoonizer.vdf' file from the 'MSU v.3 zip' folder into the 'plugins32' folder in my Virtualdub directory.

(I do have to tick the 'force single frame buffer' box in the 'filter options' or the program crashes.....)

After doing that it all seems to work OK ......
    Where do I find 'force single frame buffer' box in the 'filter options' ?
    -
    Ok I found it.!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    What is NLM ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-local_means

I haven't seen one for VirtualDub. Try a 2d noise reduction filter with a large radius, moderate threshold. Like Jim Casaburi's 2d Cleaner.

Re. MSU Cartoonizer: make sure you have the rigth "bitness". 32 bit filter for 32 bit Virtualdub, or 64 bit filter for 64 bit VirtualDub.
    When i use 2d Cleaner, do i have to also sharpen the video manually if i want to?
    Quote Quote  
  16. 2d Cleaner only reduces noise. If you want sharper edges you have to do that with another filter.
    Quote Quote