VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    What are the latest reports on Verbatim dual-layer AZO ? (Not Life Series.) Still Made in Taiwan, still reliable ?
    Still 8X rated ? (Although I did not burn them at more than a 4X setting.) Where did you order them from ?
    I don't want to order what turn out to be the wrong ones and then have to return them.

[It appears that the Verb. part # @ Rima has changed, for example.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 2nd Nov 2018 at 19:55.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this gradually disappearing American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
    Thanks again for this informative thread.

Something positive to report by me, finally, is that I bought a package of CMC T-Y DVD-R on Amazon as well as a new spindle of Verbatim +R AZOs and after burning about 10 discs of each, have had NO BAD DISCS AT ALL. All have played fine in my cursory checks and all have scanned fine with Discspeed, lowest rating so far of about 84 with the verbatims and 90 with the T-Ys. Cause for celebration after 4 spindles of the Ritek Smartbuys where I didn't get more than 20 usable discs out of each 100 pack set with most results either down to 0, a high of 10, or not even being recognizable at all in any disc drive or standalone player.

I still believe it is a crapshoot based on many factors outside our control, that even if the media might be "good" or somewhat "consistent" seems like that can vary based on factors like how long that spindle might have been sitting around b4 it was shipped to you, or what conditions it was subject to in storage or shipping. I guess we can only try to use "good" media then hope it was either manufactured well, stored well, etc etc.
    Could you post the manufacture date or the media codes so hopefully someone can figure out the manufacture date as discussed here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384560-decipher-the-manufacturing-year-of-my-mdisc-media

I suspect the TY and AZO discs aren't in high demand by the general public and may be old stock. As lordsmurf stated above, high heat/humidity and light = improper storage = possible conditions in a warehouse.

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    What are the latest reports on Verbatim dual-layer AZO ? (Not Life Series.) Still Made in Taiwan, still reliable ?
    Still 8X rated ? (Although I did not burn them at more than a 4X setting.) Where did you order them from ?
    I don't want to order what turn out to be the wrong ones and then have to return them.

[It appears that the Verb. part # @ Rima has changed, for example.]
    AFAIK, the CMC factory is only in Taiwan and the all other factories that made AZO discs are long gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    AFAIK, the CMC factory is only in Taiwan and the all other factories that made AZO discs are long gone.
    Historic =
    - CMC Magnetics, Taiwan
    - Moser Baer (MBI), India
    - Prodisc Technology, Taiwan
    - Falcon Technologies (FTI), United Arab Emirates (UAE)

CMC obviously still around, making not just their own CMC media (still crap), but also MCC/MKM, TY, and maybe some others. It became cheaper for other manufacturers to export their labor and facilities to CMC, and just give them specs and supplies for the discs. CMC is a publicly traded company, and you can see some of their dealings in the disclosure filings. They have negative income, negative profit, negative growth, but sustained sales/cashflow with billions in assets. Their stock trades for about 33% of what it did a decade ago.

Prodisc is MIA, believed to be defunct, another recession victim. I've not seen non-NOS Prodisc at all in the 2010s; and I don't even mean MCC/MKM. The only place where I know to find Prodisc MID DVD still is at Americal.com. They must have over-ordered tons of it. Question is, how good is the warehouse storage? Post-4x Prodisc was always 2nd class, meaning already marginal. Not bad, just not great. Add in heat and humidity, and it'll quickly become cakes of coasters.

FTI exists, and makes MKM DVD+R DL. Everything else is FTI media (using licensed TDK MID), or Ritek.

MBI stills makes MCC/MKM media, but I'm not sure if it's exported outside India these days. Maybe Europe, elsewhere in Asia? I've not seen any in North America for years.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 3rd Nov 2018 at 04:48.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To clarify, CMC in Taiwan in the sole manufacturer of AZO discs, correct?

What about Singapore? Is the factory still there? They stopped making AZO discs years ago. Are they still around?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Singapore plant was always for R&D-type initial production. I'm not sure if it's still around, but I'm betting it is. At least the facility. I'm not sure if it still does optical, or was retrofitted for something new.

No, I don't think CMC exclusively makes the AZO. MBI and FTI both have some currently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The Singapore plant was always for R&D-type initial production. I'm not sure if it's still around, but I'm betting it is. At least the facility. I'm not sure if it still does optical, or was retrofitted for something new.

No, I don't think CMC exclusively makes the AZO. MBI and FTI both have some currently.
    Still leaves the question: from WHERE to order the Verb. AZO dual-layer (if there remains any such place), with the best chance of getting in-good-condition stock of the correct blank discs ? I have bookmarks for Rima, NewEgg, & Amazon -- but I'm open to any better options that may exist.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this gradually disappearing American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure the Verbatims were AZO? I haven't bought and discs in years, but I've read that some of the non-AZO discs are now sold in the orange and purple packaging and the the AZO logo on the real packs are still there though smaller.

As for your Smartbuys, it's like any other direct non-manufacturer labeled disc, even though it's Ritek, it could be from any of their various lines (passable to utter junk).

Also, have you tried using another burner? Yours may be failing. Also, burn only with Imgburn.
    I would guess that the reportedly new smaller AZO logo would be newer stock. Hopefully slipkid will provide some info (ideally photos) of the wrapping his 'good' AZOs came in.

Purely out of curiosity for me since it's been years since I've burned a disc and I don't even know exactly where my blanks are!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you post the manufacture date or the media codes so hopefully someone can figure out the manufacture date as discussed here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384560-decipher-the-manufacturing-year-of-my-mdisc-media
    Give me some time & I'll try looking at that thread next week, am working 12 hour shifts all weekend so no time right now, until days off next Tuesday/Wed....I can tell you this so far real quick...

Packaging says "Verbatim #95098 1606-203" above the UPC barcode.

That UPC is "023942 950981".

Packaging says "Made in Taiwan" and at the very bottom says "Verbatim Americas LLC 2016".

Nero DiscSpeed reads them as "Verbatim MCC 004 000 (00h)".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still leaves the question: from WHERE to order the Verb. AZO dual-layer (if there remains any such place), with the best chance of getting in-good-condition stock of the correct blank discs ? I have bookmarks for Rima, NewEgg, & Amazon -- but I'm open to any better options that may exist.
    The spindle I got came from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZDNZSS/

Based on what I noted above with "2016" on the wrapper I assume they are no older than 2016 but in theory I guess they could be newer too if that was some kind of copyright thing rather than supposed to be a "birthdate" (?). I don't have the wrapper still for the spindle I bought like 2 years ago which drove me crazy with bad burns, so I can't compare those.

It is single layer though, you may be asking about dual layer (?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
    The spindle I got came from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZDNZSS/

Based on what I noted above with "2016" on the wrapper I assume they are no older than 2016 but in theory I guess they could be newer too if that was some kind of copyright thing rather than supposed to be a "birthdate" (?). I don't have the wrapper still for the spindle I bought like 2 years ago which drove me crazy with bad burns, so I can't compare those.

It is single layer though, you may be asking about dual layer (?).
    Yes, Dual Layer. A couple of my last -- now empty -- 30-spindles show Verb #96542 on the label, 'Made in Singapore.' Where all my previous purchases were from, but I've probably had those for quite some time. Never bothered to scan them with a disc utility like DiscSpeed . . ., but Imgburn likely provides that info as well, when you load a disc ? I think I may be out of any remaining personal stock on those now, but will have to look around to be sure.

Verbatim sells BR blank media in 25 & 50 Gb. sizes also. Not sure what the production or quality story is on those, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bump: I am left even more dubious, insofar as Amazon has several product listings for this (for a spindle of the same size),

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Verbatim+%2396542

ranging from $30. to ~ $60. Something doesn't feel right about this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump: I am left even more dubious, insofar as Amazon has several product listings for this (for a spindle of the same size),

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Verbatim+%2396542

ranging from $30. to ~ $60. Something doesn't feel right about this.
    This is typical of Amazon. There are multiple sellers of the same product. One of the things to look for is Prime Shipping. Most of the products with Prime Shipping are directly from Amazon. This https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-8-5GB-Branded-Surface/dp/B001D8OGOO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=...batim+%2396542 and this https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-8-5GB-Branded-Surface/dp/B005F2YPH2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=...B%2396542&th=1 are sold and shipped from Amazon.
    Quote Quote