VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix, HBO, etc! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks, this is my frontend contribution to assist with the command-line only youtube-dl.exe

YT-DL Dropper

Name:  Dropper_5-0.png
Views: 407
Size:  5.1 KB

Just a small floating Dropbox, but with many features, including multiple downloads or a Batch List ... now including a download Console element, de-selected by default and still in Beta, but works pretty well most of the time. To use the Console, you first need to enable the menu option Batch Mode, then the menu option Batch Process -> Use Console.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dropper_0.png
Views:	81
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	45798

USAGE - Drag and drop a video URL to the dropzone of the floating dropbox or manually paste or just click the PASTE button.
    If Batch Mode is set, then a Batch List is created or added to. If not (default mode), the URL starts being processed and a download starts soon after.
    A date named BAT file is created for every download, and can be used independently if desired.
    In Batch Mode processing, which starts when you click the START button, you get some form of monitoring, especially with the new Console window.

Have a bit of a play and enjoy!

P.S. If you don't understand something, please inquire here in this thread/topic ... and I will reply when I can.

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Place 'YT-DL Dropper.exe' in a folder.
    2. Download or obtain 'youtube-dl.exe' and place it in same folder.
    3. Download or obtain 'ffmpeg.exe' and place it in same folder.
    NOTE - To stop 'youtube-dl.exe' complaining about 'ffprobe' etc, 'ffprobe.exe' can usually be found in the same download zip as 'ffmpeg.exe'. So just grab 'ffprobe.exe' and place it where 'ffmpeg.exe' is.
    4. Download or obtain 'mkvmerge.exe' and place it in same folder (only required for MKV chapters & Preview files).
    5. Run (execute) 'YT-DL Dropper.exe'.
    6. A dropbox should appear, that you can drag a video page URL to. Or use copy & paste. Or just click the PASTE button.
    7. If an acceptable URL, then the video should start downloading immediately or be added to a 'Batch List'. It may also prompt for a unique title first (youtube).
    8. Multiple simultaneous downloads are possible, when not in 'Batch Mode'. Just drag and drop another URL.
    9. When the Dropbox closes it may query to cleanup some files. Though you may still need to cleanup one or two others after a cancelled download.
    10. Many options are accessible through the Dropbox's MENU button.

SUBTITLES
    An attempt is made to download any subtitle file.

OTHER OPTIONS
    Over time, the program has been given many more options. Most users need never adjust them from their default settings, as they are aimed more at the Power User. So it is still possible to use the program in the simplistic way it was initially designed for - Drag & Drop, start downloading immediately.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    If you have any problems, you may need to create a shortcut to 'YT-DL Dropper.exe' and give it Administrator permissions to run (i.e. Run As Administrator).

NOTE - If you know about setting %PATH%, then you may be able to specify the locations of ffmpeg.exe and youtube-dl.exe that way.

DOWNLOAD SITES
    ffmpeg.exe = https://www.videohelp.com/software/ffmpeg
    youtube-dl.exe = https://www.videohelp.com/software/youtube-dl or https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

mkvmerge.exe = https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html
    (Download the MKVToolNix Windows portable (32bit) file)
    NOTE - You only need the 'mkvmerge.exe' file from the portable 'MKVToolNix' 7-zip package.

Copyright (c) 2018, Tombs
    All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
    list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
    and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
    ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
    DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
    ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
    (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
    LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
    ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
    SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Simplified BSD License taken from Wikipedia.
    DISCLAIMER or DECLARATION
    Please note. I am not to be held accountable for how or what users use my programs for. If they engage in illegal activities, that is solely their responsibility. I neither encourage, recommend or promote doing such things. Users also need to be aware that they use my programs at their own risk. I guarantee nothing, except no deliberate malicious intent, and freely provide my software solely out of good will, and a belief in sharing.
    YT-DL Dropper v4.9_b08.zip (724.3 KB, 24 views)
    YT-DL Dropper v4.9_b10_(AUS).zip (729.9 KB, 4 views) (1.28 MB, 3 views)

Most users will want the first zip, not second.
    If you need or feel motivated to ask which, then just grab the first one ... or second ... just don't pester me about it.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Tombs; 14th Jun 2018 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YT-DL Dropper has been updated from Beta 8 to Beta 10 .... discovered a bug after I finished Beta 9.

See first post.

Added a 'Subtitle Mode' which is enabled through 'Subtitle Options -> Download a Subtitle file Now', to just download a subtitle file. Program icon modified.

(Latest Beta changes for Console)
    More STATUS field feedback. The 'Exit after current job' process has been coded and enabled, with a two period query (first is after youtube-dl has finished with download, second is after the job is fully completed, with first query being skipped if no Chapter or Preview creation is specified).
    BUGFIX for being semi-trapped in a loop, when clicking CANCEL, at the drive space remaining query prompt. Drive Space is now also checked after download, but before Chapter or Preview creation, and updated in that field.
    P.S. Now providing different versions for different users. While virtually identical, the AUS version is of no benefit to most users, who may suffer confusion with it.
    Last edited by Tombs; 3rd Jun 2018 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some of you will definitely need to update to latest 'youtube-dl.exe' ... version 14-06-2018 at least.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice SCRIPT FUNCTION! keep the good work!

i did not check the file YT-DL Dropper.au3 in notepad just kidding....

working good here.

why not include in the zip this files there are freeware?

ffmpeg.exe
    youtube-dl.exe
    mkvmerge.exe
    Last edited by codebox; 15th Jun 2018 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice.

Although ... no one should ever do this for anything downloaded from the net
    If you have any problems, you may need to create a shortcut to 'YT-DL Dropper.exe' and give it Administrator permissions to run (i.e. Run As Administrator).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just installed V4.9 (says 5.0 in the change-log)
    Took a bit of wrestling with Trend Micro Internet Security to convince it that it wasn't Malware.
    When you run it without admin you get nothing
    When you run it as Admin for the first time Trend opens a Dialog that offers you to delete the file (but nothing else)
    If you bang out of that and re-run as admin Trend offers you a dialog with both Delete the File and Open the file - then it runs.
    In the end I've created a .bat file that calls the .exe - that seems to do the trick without the need to run as Admin.

Thanks to Tombsy for the great work.

I'm a fan of using "Create Batch Files Only" as I'm on a plan that has an Off-peak Internet quota, so I create the Batch files, then let my Download.bat file which is scheduled to run at 2:30AM to read the .Bats that are in the same folder. I had a problem where the Batch files all have an exit statement in them, so you only got the first DL done and it would bang out. I now read the 2nd line out of the .bat files and execute them. Happy to share if anyone is interested.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spin35 View Post
    Just installed V4.9 (says 5.0 in the change-log)
    The program is essentially v5.0, but still in beta, so not a full version yet, hence v4.9_b10.
    As most stuff works well enough, I decided to release early.
    Usually I don't release betas or what is somewhere between that an an alpha, being incomplete in some features/checks/etc.
    Blame my enthusiasm to share.

Took a bit of wrestling with Trend Micro Internet Security to convince it that it wasn't Malware.
    When you run it without admin you get nothing
    When you run it as Admin for the first time Trend opens a Dialog that offers you to delete the file (but nothing else)
    If you bang out of that and re-run as admin Trend offers you a dialog with both Delete the File and Open the file - then it runs.
    In the end I've created a .bat file that calls the .exe - that seems to do the trick without the need to run as Admin.
    I have had to add exceptions to anti-virus on my own rig, due to Windows own anti-virus complaining sometimes.
    Check the same program file out with Virus Total, and it usually gets a clean bill of health ... even from Microsoft.
    Another culprit is a Malwarebytes program. So that has an exception as well.
    The programming language I use (AutoIt) has a low priority with Ant-virus companies, when it comes to fixing false positives, but that is also not helped by all the script kiddies out there using it to create bad things.
    Now sure how you managed to get a simple BAT file to overcome such issues. It may just have been a matter of timing and locking.

Thanks to Tombsy for the great work.
    A pleasure.

I'm a fan of using "Create Batch Files Only" as I'm on a plan that has an Off-peak Internet quota, so I create the Batch files, then let my Download.bat file which is scheduled to run at 2:30AM to read the .Bats that are in the same folder. I had a problem where the Batch files all have an exit statement in them, so you only got the first DL done and it would bang out. I now read the 2nd line out of the .bat files and execute them. Happy to share if anyone is interested.
    Goodo. You can also use the Windows Scheduler to run my program with current Batch List. Check out the Instructions.txt file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    Nice.

Although ... no one should ever do this for anything downloaded from the net
    Perhaps, but sometimes it depends on what a program does.

You should be able to just assign the program as allowed to Write and Modify on the Security tab for the Users group, to solve those type of issues. Accessed by right-clicking the executable file and selecting 'Properties', then the 'Security' tab etc. Or better still, do that for the folder my program is in ... and no harm doing both.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    OK that would be true, the point being no one knows what a program is programmed to do except for the programmer

Well, ffmpeg with all its features and complexity needs no admin to run; batch scripts to run ffmpeg needs no admin to run; programs with fancy ui's need no admin to run; etc.

solve those type of issues
    a thought, you may want to be a bit clearer on which issues may need resolving - given that no one should ever give a random program downloaded from the net any consideration of access to admin rights. offhand, can't think of a good reason given that the user would already have write access into relevant folders to create a video in a folder in the first place.

Not complaining about your program, only an offhand "give it admin to run" when basic security 101 for toddlers to seniors says otherwise. People lose money from bank accounts doing such things
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
    OK that would be true, the point being no one knows what a program is programmed to do except for the programmer

Well, ffmpeg with all its features and complexity needs no admin to run; batch scripts to run ffmpeg needs no admin to run; programs with fancy ui's need no admin to run; etc.

a thought, you may want to be a bit clearer on which issues may need resolving - given that no one should ever give a random program downloaded from the net any consideration of access to admin rights. offhand, can't think of a good reason given that the user would already have write access into relevant folders to create a video in a folder in the first place.

Not complaining about your program, only an offhand "give it admin to run" when basic security 101 for toddlers to seniors says otherwise. People lose money from bank accounts doing such things
    While I am not gonna argue with some of the truths you say, life at the end of the day encompasses some risk.

My program runs other programs, ffmpeg for one as well as youtube-dl and mkvmerge. Couple that with downloading or connecting to the web, and you have a few reasons for AV to be suspicious. Usually when that happens, they lock the containing folder (change permissions for it), and you need to give express permissions to even write to a text file, let alone create stuff like folders or download. That's if the AV hasn't just removed or quarantined the program and blocked all access. Hell, sometimes when I am developing my stuff, I cannot even update a file in a zip file, because it's been locked. So now I just exclude all my working project folders and programs in my AV ... saves a lot of pain.

AutoIt compiled scripts regularly get AV false positives.

A program as well known, respected and supported as ffmpeg would be, would have a digital signature and be given an element of exclusion as well. Hobby programmers like myself, don't get that luxury. So if you want to use our products, then you inevitably must take a risk. Or perhaps hold off for a while and see what others might report.

If you are ever concerned about a program of mine or any other program, just upload it to VirusTotal.
    On top of all that, I actually provide the full source with my programs.

I know from experience and from reports by others, that sometimes my programs don't work properly, and at the end of the day it is purely due to it not being able to write to a settings (INI) text file, in its own folder.

Surely you realize, that any foreign executable on your PC will need permission to do anything ... and that has a degree of level to it. Run is one thing, write or modify are another. Connect to the web another. Download to your PC another. At the end of the day, it is down to your OS and Security settings.
    Last edited by Tombs; 19th Jun 2018 at 06:38.
    Quote Quote