VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, I have a bunch of animated GIF files and some JPGs that I want to string together as a slideshow and save as a video file. I've tried a couple of programs, including Windows Movie Maker, but the GIFs animations are lost, they just display as still images like the JPGs.

I would also like to be able to set the time for how long each file is displayed (like 5 seconds per file) and maybe even transitions.

Basically, a slideshow of images, with the animations preserved, then saved as a single video file.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need video editor capable to support list of sources (files) and support transition (basically something like Scala https://scala.com/enterprise/).
    Animated gifs are not issue if not natively supported by your video editor as they can be converted to regular video files (relatively easy to do task).
    I'm not aware if there is freeware capable to support list of files - however any reasonable NLE should be fine especially after converting gif's to video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You need video editor capable to support list of sources (files) and support transition (basically something like Scala https://scala.com/enterprise/).
    Animated gifs are not issue if not natively supported by your video editor as they can be converted to regular video files (relatively easy to do task).
    I'm not aware if there is freeware capable to support list of files - however any reasonable NLE should be fine especially after converting gif's to video.
    So, I'm pretty new at this. Can you recommend any apps that can batch convert GIFs to video, free or otherwise (prefer open source)? I've tried googling, but the results are heavily skewed towards converting videos into GIFs or converting them online (prefer to use a local app).

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use for example ffmpeg with script bellow:
    Code:
    @setlocal
    @REM Where to Find ffmpeg
    @set FFMPG=C:\FF
    @set PATH=%FFMPG%;%PATH%

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel 32 -stats -color_range 2 -y -i %filename% -c:v rawvideo -color_range 2 -pix_fmt bgr24 -f avi -an -dn -sn "%~n1.avi"

@endlocal
    @pause
    Tested it so it should work without problems - files are uncompressed RGB video and as such no additional codecs required (but they can be big when compared to gif size).

Just copy (Ctrl+C -> Notepad -> Ctrl+V) above script to file with extension cmd or bat (for example ffgif2avi.cmd), download ffmpeg , place ffmpeg.exe in folder C:\FF and from this moment you should be able to convert any gif (or other video) by simply drag & drop (select with mouse then drag without releasing mouse button to script then release mouse button - same like moving/copying files from one place to another).

I see only one problem that should be resolved by your video editor (i hope automatically) - produced video may have different framerate than sources so there is need to unify framerate of sources as most of video formats are constant framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can use for example ffmpeg with script bellow:

Tested it so it should work without problems - files are uncompressed RGB video and as such no additional codecs required (but they can be big when compared to gif size).

Just copy (Ctrl+C -> Notepad -> Ctrl+V) above script to file with extension cmd or bat (for example ffgif2avi.cmd), download ffmpeg , place ffmpeg.exe in folder C:\FF and from this moment you should be able to convert any gif (or other video) by simply drag & drop (select with mouse then drag without releasing mouse button to script then release mouse button - same like moving/copying files from one place to another).

I see only one problem that should be resolved by your video editor (i hope automatically) - produced video may have different framerate than sources so there is need to unify framerate of sources as most of video formats are constant framerate.
    Hi, this works (but the GIFs are upside-down), but it seems it can only do one at a time.

I'm going to approach this from another angle in a different thread (just batch converting GIFs for video), but thank you for taking the time to help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by vidyanoob View Post
    Hi, this works (but the GIFs are upside-down), but it seems it can only do one at a time.

I'm going to approach this from another angle in a different thread (just batch converting GIFs for video), but thank you for taking the time to help
    It may be related to avi, raw and windows itself - easy to fix - saw also jagabo script to convert multiple gif's at once - there is one issue in this script - mkv format and i believe assumed YCbCr 4:2:0 + h.264 compression - all bad for gif's which are CLUT based and usually employ strong dither.
    There is few filters that may improve perceived gif quality but they need to be applied before h.264 compression not after.
    Quote Quote