VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have several 1080i MP4 videos recorded from my Youview box, but the issue is alot of the material is SD 576i, and the box upscales everything to 1080i which just adds artifacts and causes bigger file sizes. I want to be able to archive all these shows to Blu-ray discs for watching back on my player, and would be able to fit alot more on the one disc if it was back to it's actual resolution.

What's a good method (wont say the best way because there probably isnt one) of downscaling the resolution of the MP4 files without risking quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any MP4 to MP4 conversion will be lossy.. Just keep your videos as is
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a search for how to turn off upscaling if it's possible with your box.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Unfortunately the lowest it goes down to is 720p, probably due to it being a HDMI only device. So stupid though to have a box were the majority of the channels are in SD and it doesn't let you display in that resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Easiest is a program like Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Unfortunately the lowest it goes down to is 720p, probably due to it being a HDMI only device. So stupid though to have a box were the majority of the channels are in SD and it doesn't let you display in that resolution.
    HDMI support even 240p resolution so it can't be blamed for limitations of source. Raise complains to manufacturer and request to support at least 480/576 modes which are mandatory for HDMI (480p/576p must be supported by definition of HDMI compliance and if your source not support this video mode then it is not HDMI compliant source - as such it can't use HDMI logo).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Easiest is a program like Handbrake.
    Can you re-encode to interlaced though? All the presets seem to be in progressive.

Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    HDMI support even 240p resolution so it can't be blamed for limitations of source. Raise complains to manufacturer and request to support at least 480/576 modes which are mandatory for HDMI (480p/576p must be supported by definition of HDMI compliance and if your source not support this video mode then it is not HDMI compliant source - as such it can't use HDMI logo).
    I stand corrected, it actually has a scart and composite connections on the back (for some reason i thought it was only HDMI) This means i may be able to transfer them to DVD discs instead (for shows that aren't already saved to my computer) Though if the device doesn't display in 576i, would that be technically possible?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Can you re-encode to interlaced though? All the presets seem to be in progressive.
    Why would you want to convert 1080i25 to 576i25? Use the bob deinterlace to convert to 576p50.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Why would you want to convert 1080i25 to 576i25? Use the bob deinterlace to convert to 576p50.
    So i can watch it back on my tv. Deinterlacing it would degrade the picture quality. I want to keep it close to the source as possible.
    Last edited by Master Tape; 8th Jun 2018 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    So i can watch it back on my tv. Deinterlacing it would degrade the picture quality. I want to keep it close to the source as possible.
    If you do it properly it will can look better as 576p50 than 576i25. The major damage has probably already been done by upscaling the original interlaced SD video to interlaced HD.

By the way, are you sure your 1080i videos really contain interlaced content? Almost everything shot on film will really be 25p, even it it's transmitted ast 25i. Such material can be easily be restored to the original progressive film frames and encoded as 25p. Live sports and news are the major exceptions that are truly broadcast as interlaced video.

Post some samples here if you want some analysis of the actual content of the videos.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Jun 2018 at 19:04.
    Quote Quote