VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I am totally new, yet I already love this. I was hoping that someone could possible help me to choose the right DVD player. Out of my experience with my old Philips DVP3680 that was originally region free I am thinking of getting another Philips DVP2902/F7, yet based on store associate's words it is not multi region and unfortunately I couldn't find hacks for this particular model. My other option is Panasonic DVD-S500-K, code I believe is already available. First off, which one would you guys recommend? Second - does any one know how to make Philips DVP2902 multi region ?
    Hope to hear from you guys soon.
    Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently the ONLY way to guarantee a DVD player will be region free is to get one that's pre-modded. Even if a current model is listed as being hackable, it may apply to one sold in a certain region and the same model number may contain different hardware / firmware that makes it unhackable.

Save yourself a lot of time buying and returning unhackable players and possibly saving a bit of money by getting a pre-modded model from Amazon or 220-electronics.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much. As the matter of fact Panasonic S-500 and S-700 are available from Amazon, 220-electronocs and Walmart(lowest price) and marked as multi region.Probably I should give it a try. I believe the best bet would be S-500K to be on a safe side, if I am wrong please let me know.Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see the S-500 listed at 220-electronics, though the S-700 is. Both have good overall good reviews on Amazon, but note that it's sold through Amazon by third party sellers and there's no warranty information, same with 220-electronics. This is probably because they're hardware modded or Gray Market, not meant for sale in the U.S. Though for the price, you could just buy an extra for a spare.

The ones listed on Walmart don't state they're multi-region (don't get multi-format (ability to play writable DVDs) confused with multi-region) and it's never safe to assume that just because they're the same model number, they're the same as sold by 220-electronics or Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Greatly appreciate your time and courtesy. I was in Fry's today and found Panasonic DVD S-500 and LG DP132 with USB Direct Recording both claimed to be region free, yet store associate was positive about only Panasonic. But the problem I encountered was that none of them had HDMI output. Out of my research I figured that Philips DVP3602/F7 that comes with HDMI and USB Ports is also region free, Walmart has certified refurbished one, Best Buy is out of stock, Waiting for an answer from amazon seller, and 220-electronics is unfortunately out stock of every single Philips model.
    Quote Quote