VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What software would you recommend for editing video?
    A good bit of standard def DVD videos and 9 years of 1080.
    Perhaps I'll get a 4k camcorder in the future.
    I'm anything but a pro at this so I don't need top of the line software.
    Probably mostly cutting and trimming... some nice transitions. Chapter points. Text insertion. Outputting to files to play on PC or Nvidia Shield via Kodi over network.
    Definitely don't want any subscription based software or anything that requires logging in to an account.
    Last edited by lordhutt; 28th May 2018 at 14:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Thank you. I've never heard of Resolve but watching videos on YouTube. Looks pretty good and seems to be quite popular even over Adobe and Final Cut.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas can't do MKV, go with Movavi Video Editor or Cyberlink Powerdirector.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zero-11 View Post
    Not sure if I'll have to do any MKV or not. Of course I rip all of my BluRays to MKV but any camcorder or phone video wont be. I'm familiar with Cyberlink. I'll look into Movavi. Can Resolve do MKV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well Davince Resolve is a bust for me. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't support anything! (at least not my files)
    98% of the files I try show up as 'media offline'. I've searched this and found many other complaints about it but no actual solutions.
    I've tried to post on their forum but there is a wait time for new posters that is taking excessive time so not hearing from them.
    Just trying basic files from a Sony HDR-S12, a Canon EOS 70D, phone videos Samsung S8, you tube downloads... nothing works.

Any ideas?

I guess its back to Vegas or Cyberlink or other?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Any ideas?
    This document contains a list of supported audio and video formats for DaVinci Resolve 15 and the container formats for them: http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180406-341247/DaVinci_Resolve_1...Codec_List.pdf
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Any ideas?
    This document contains a list of supported audio and video formats for DaVinci Resolve 15 and the container formats for them: http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180406-341247/DaVinci_Resolve_1...Codec_List.pdf
    Thanks. If you have a moment can you look at the 4 files I uploaded to confirm. The whole file extension/container/codec thing trips me up sometimes.
    I attached files made with 'Mediainfo' from 4 different sources. My older Sony camcorder. My Canon, my phone, and YouTube downloads.

Thank you!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any ideas?
    Thanks. If you have a moment can you look at the 4 files I uploaded to confirm. The whole file extension/container/codec thing trips me up sometimes.
    I attached files made with 'Mediainfo' from 4 different sources. My older Sony camcorder. My Canon, my phone, and YouTube downloads.

Thank you!
    I'll do my best to help but I'm also having trouble deciphering some of the DaVinci Resolve spec and I'm not as good at detecting codec issues as some others here. Plus, there is a lot that I don't know when it comes to Apple's containers and codecs.

sony.txt: 8-bit H.264 in an MP4 container is supported, but Davinci Resolve doesn't support AC-3/Dolby Digital audio, period. I think that you would need to demultiplex the audio and video, convert the audio to PCM in a WAV file and import the PCM audio and AVC video as separate WAV and MP4 files. A subtitle stream may also be problematic.

SamsungS8.txt: I'm guessing the variable frame rate video is the problem. Most editors demand constant frame rate video.

canon.txt: DaVinci Resolve supports 8-bit H.264 in an mov file, but the specs list only "Embedded Audio" as supported in mov files. I know nothing about Quicktime video, so I can't say if the PCM audio qualifies as "Embedded Audio".

youtube.txt: I'm not sure, but Level 3.1 AVC could be problematic.

FWIW I don't presently have DaVinci Resolve installed on my computer so I can't do any tests. I looked at it a few months ago, but I decided that since I don't own a digital camera, I don't really have a use for it.

From what I was able to see, Davinci Resolve could encode to AAC, PCM, and H.264 for output, but not other common distribution formats. My impression is that DaVinci Resolve may provide a slightly better experience for OS X users than Windows 10 users or Linux users.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

sony.txt: 8-bit H.264 in an MP4 container is supported, but Davinci Resolve doesn't support AC-3/Dolby Digital audio, period. I think that you would need to demultiplex the audio and video, convert the audio to PCM in a WAV file and import the PCM audio and AVC video as separate WAV and MP4 files. A subtitle stream may also be problematic.

SamsungS8.txt: I'm guessing the variable frame rate video is the problem. Most editors demand constant frame rate video.

canon.txt: DaVinci Resolve supports 8-bit H.264 in an mov file, but the specs list only "Embedded Audio" as supported in mov files. I know nothing about Quicktime video, so I can't say if the PCM audio qualifies as "Embedded Audio".

youtube.txt: I'm not sure, but Level 3.1 AVC could be problematic.

FWIW I don't presently have DaVinci Resolve installed on my computer so I can't do any tests. I looked at it a few months ago, but I decided that since I don't own a digital camera, I don't really have a use for it.

From what I was able to see, Davinci Resolve could encode to AAC, PCM, and H.264 for output, but not other common distribution formats. My impression is that DaVinci Resolve may provide a slightly better experience for OS X users than Windows 10 users or Linux users.
    Hey, thanks for the effort but if you are correct then screw all of that. I'm talking 15 years of home videos here.
    From the Sony alone I have at least 800 separate files... I can't image having to do all that work for them.
    Probably have 2500ish files...

I'm baffled that this is so complicated... I've used some older versions of Sony Vegas and software from Pinnacle (I think) so years back and don't recall any video file (except mkv) being a problem.

I'm going to install a trial copy of Cyberlink and see if it has any of these issues.

BTW: Resolve finally approved my post... which was just my initial question. I replied to with the 'mediainfo' info but have to wait for my second post approval
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm baffled that this is so complicated... I've used some older versions of Sony Vegas and software from Pinnacle (I think) so years back and don't recall any video file (except mkv) being a problem.
    The best explanation I can think of is that Davinci Resolve is designed for professional use (especially color grading), so it isn't crucial for it to support directly importing and exporting some of the common highly compressed A/V formats consumer cameras produce.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best explanation I can think of is that Davinci Resolve is designed for professional use (especially color grading), so it isn't crucial for it to support directly importing and exporting some of the common highly compressed A/V formats consumer cameras produce.
    Yeah, possibly... actually don't they make their own hardware?
    And I'm anything but a professional when it comes to this. I just want to make my home videos more enjoyable/watchable.
    Mostly some cutting and trimming, transitions, fades and wipes and perhaps some text overlays. Nothing that basically any half decent program in the $70-150 range shouldn't be able to handle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HOWEVER

I appear to be in video editing hell.
    I'm running Windows 7 by the way...not upgrading to 10.
    Installed PowerDirector trial.
    It kept crashing within like 5 seconds of launch.
    Emailed them a dump and awaiting a reply...
    Until then...
    In properties I set it to launch in compatibility mode... Windows 7... still crashed.
    Changed to Vista version 2... not it launches and is stable.
    HOWEVER!!
    Upon dragging a video to the timeline from Explorer I get a popup
    [Attachment 45931 - Click to enlarge]

HOW IS THIS A FEATURE... putting a video on the timeline is the most basic thing you can do!!
    Shoot me.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blackmagic Design does indeed make pro editing hardware and capture devices.

Some people here recommend Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum (Note Magix bought the Vegas software line from Sony a few years ago) or
    Corel Video Studio Pro 18. I don't know if they offer the ability to author DVD and Blu-ray like PowerDirector does, assuming that you are interested in that.

Be sure to check your PC specs against the software's hardware requirements. (P.S. Your VideoHelp Computer Details look to be out of date.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ---Some people here recommend Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum (Note Magix bought the Vegas software line from Sony a few years ago) or Corel Video Studio Pro 18. I don't know if they offer the ability to author DVD and Blu-ray like PowerDirector does, assuming that you are interested in that.---
    Vegas Movie Studio Platinum version 15 still comes with Blu-ray Disc and DVD Authoring (and burning) software, which is now Vegas DVD Architect (7).
    You can also burn Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (no menus) from the VMS 15 Platinum timeline. DVDs are playable in a DVD player or computer with a DVD drive, BDs need a BD player or a computer with a BD drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blackmagic Design does indeed make pro editing hardware and capture devices.

Some people here recommend Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum (Note Magix bought the Vegas software line from Sony a few years ago) or
    Corel Video Studio Pro 18. I don't know if they offer the ability to author DVD and Blu-ray like PowerDirector does, assuming that you are interested in that.

Be sure to check your PC specs against the software's hardware requirements. (P.S. Your VideoHelp Computer Details look to be out of date.)
    Damn, that was old!! Updated my system info.

Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    ---Some people here recommend Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum (Note Magix bought the Vegas software line from Sony a few years ago) or Corel Video Studio Pro 18. I don't know if they offer the ability to author DVD and Blu-ray like PowerDirector does, assuming that you are interested in that.---
    Vegas Movie Studio Platinum version 15 still comes with Blu-ray Disc and DVD Authoring (and burning) software, which is now Vegas DVD Architect (7).
    You can also burn Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (no menus) from the VMS 15 Platinum timeline. DVDs are playable in a DVD player or computer with a DVD drive, BDs need a BD player or a computer with a BD drive.
    Thanks for the replies... I was already into this move and honestly don't know why I didn't start there in the first place. I had a version of Vegas about 4-5 years ago and like I mentioned earlier it was fine.
    Just finished cleaning Resolve and Cyberlink off my drive and hopefully ... third times a charm with Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AWESOME! Vegas just seems to want to work perfectly... with the minimal amount I threw at it. Done for the day but looks promising.
    Why did I stray from it in the first place

I only have one other issue at the moment and its not directly related to the editing software. But related to video files I believe.
    I keep getting a 'COM Surrogate has stopped working' popup.
    Searches for this prove it to be a popular issue.
    I think I've narrowed it down to browsing a specific folder of video files... my Sony and Canon files basically.

The general consensus among the many websites found in my search...

Update codecs... I haven't installed a codec pack in 15 years so avoiding this for the moment.

Running this in a command prompt
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    I did this one....

Disable DEP for dllhost.exe
    I did this as well...

No luck trying either of those.

Many people blame a few specific pieces of software... Nero being one that I had... actually installed it a couple days ago to burn an audio cd.
    Uninstalled it... no help.

Running Check Disk... going to do this right after this post. I doubt there will be any issues but this scan will take some time so going to do then head to bed.

Anyone else familiar with this issue?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    YES!

Just solved one my 3 remaining new build issues!
    The COM surrogate that I listed above.
    I knew this was about the video files and perhaps something with the codecs and Windows generating thumbnails.

In Windows Explorer in the 'Organize Folder and Search Options'
    In the 'View' tab I had to tick 'Always show icons, never thumbnails'

Not sure if installing a codec pack would solve this problem by letting Windows generate thumbnails for whatever the troubled files are or not but not necessarily important for my needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zero-11 View Post
    Then transcode it to Mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AWESOME! Vegas just seems to want to work perfectly...
    Yeah, it does. Has a lot of deep features too.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Corel Videostudio 2018. Easy to use, not like Vegas. A good forum for help, if you need it. https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=1
    Check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I like Sony Vegas (it was pretty easy to use for a newbie like me) and Adobe Premiere. Both paid tools though (with a limited free version).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have Corel Paintshop Pro, and it's very strange. Not intuitive.
    Quote Quote