VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

When I ran an .mp4 video file and its .ass subtitle file I created through ffmpeg to merge them, the output video does play in Quicktime Player.

However, I specifically created the subtitles as .ass to specify their positions throughout. When I opened the video in Quicktime, I expected to see a subtitles>English option, but instead it appears as an unknown language.

How do I specify what the subtitle language is in Aegisub?
    Did ffmpeg lose the subtitle positions, or does Quicktime Player ignore them?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Subler for adding subtitles to movie files (and for tagging), which works great for QuickTime/iTunes compatibility (converts subtitles to tx3g). It has a drop down menu for language for each stream.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply! I may have found the answer to my problem here: subtitles with ffmpeg

It seems that the issue isn’t really with aegisub, but with ffmpeg, which doesn’t support styling/positioning. I was looking into tx3g and found that the encoder mov_txt (which is what I used in ffmpeg) and tx3g are apparently “the same thing”, so I guess my method is still compatible with QuickTime. I’ll look into MP4Box to conserve the styling info.
    Quote Quote