VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I am confused about all these files, and a complete newbie to them. I am working with a group to collect all the Live DVDs from a band, and organize them for sharing. Most of the DVDs I am receiving are in VTS/VOB files, and have the ifo, bup, etc, files with them. However, some of these DVDs have two completely different concerts on one DVD (for example one from 1994, and another from 2002). In order to organize all of these concert DVDs, I need to somehow split those DVDs with multiple shows into 2 separate DVDs.

It seems like it would be so simple if this was a single MP4 files, and I could split the video in two. But what do I do with the VTS files in this case? I need to separate the VOB video files, but I also need to worry about the menu/chapter aspect of everything I guess? My understanding is that's what the ifo and bup files are for.

Can some of the folks here point me in the direction of the easiest solution for doing this? I hope I've given enough info about my situation, but if I've left anything pertinent out please let me know and I'll clarify. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can extract each titleset using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, etc. Set the file size to be unlimited. This will give you a single VOB file for each titleset. Then, use a DVD authoring program to re-author the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or extract the titles with MakeMKV. Should your two concerts been authored as chapters (which I doubt) in a title MakeMKV can also extract individual chapters. And as said then author new DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are looking to get individual songs as video files....just use DVDDecrypter.....split files "By Chapter".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You can extract each titleset using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, etc. Set the file size to be unlimited. This will give you a single VOB file for each titleset. Then, use a DVD authoring program to re-author the DVD.
    That sounds good. What would be a safe and appropriate DVD authoring program?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed DVD Decrypter, but I'm confused how all this works. It seems to want me to insert my DVD and go from there. But I don't have ACTUAL DVDs in this case. I just have the files from them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can IfoEdit be used for this purpose? I downloaded that too, and it seems to be more in the direction I'm trying to get to. I opened the main IFO file for one DVD - which has 2 separate title sets (and both seem to be a separate concert, which I'm trying to split) - I attached an image/screenshot of it currently. What would I want to do from here in Ifoedit to isolate each into two separate DVDs?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ifoedit1.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	45715  

Quote Quote  
  8. One route:

- Open your files in MakeMKV (Ctrl+O) and save the two titles

- Open DVDStyler using a template with Chapter selection.
    [Attachment 45716 - Click to enlarge]

- Drag one of the titles onto DVDStyler and menu(s) with buttons to select chapters are generated (shown for 5 chapters). No need for splitting anything.
    [Attachment 45717 - Click to enlarge]

- Frame type buttons are used with video inside the frames. However the duration of the button is default to 0. If you want motion change the duration.
    [Attachment 45718 - Click to enlarge]

- Delete the VMGM menu - you don't need that.
    [Attachment 45719 - Click to enlarge]

- Change the menu background to a video or image that relates to the concert
    [Attachment 45720 - Click to enlarge]

- Create an ISO image and test it before burning it.

(If/when you get this far you might want to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0jIx0dukXU
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think there is a program that lets you mount a folder as if it were a DVD. You can then use DVD Decrypter, and the other DVD programs. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the program I used because I haven't had to do this for at least a decade.

[edit] This is the sort of thing I was think of, but I don't know if it will fool DVD Decrypter and the other programs. Give it a try:

How To Mount A Folder As A Drive (Windows)

The thing I can't remember is whether this works if you don't first convert your files into a ISO image. Other people will have to fill in the blanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Videobruger, that sounds kind of doable. I'm using those programs now and looking through it. However, I'm not looking to burn anything. I just want to edit the files themselves so I have two separate video files in VTS/VOB format. We are sharing all of these DVD files on a cloud drive for fans to download. We aren't burning them. So using DVD Styler to burn a dvd (which I don't have, DVD-Rs I mean) then ripping it into VOB seems tedious. I would just like a program that can separate/isolate them into 2 different DVD files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I need to somehow split those DVDs with multiple shows into 2 separate DVDs.
    so I have two separate video files in VTS/VOB format
    So as I understand it you want to create DVD file structure which begs the question why? Why not distribute as MP4 or MKV?
    And do you want menus for navigation or should the video just play when the files are opened in a player?

And BTW DVDStyler can create a DVD file structure without burning
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I need to somehow split those DVDs with multiple shows into 2 separate DVDs.
    so I have two separate video files in VTS/VOB format
    So as I understand it you want to create DVD file structure which begs the question why? Why not distribute as MP4 or MKV?
    And do you want menus for navigation or should the video just play when the files are opened in a player?

And BTW DVDStyler can create a DVD file structure without burning

It's very common in the bootleg community to share DVDs digitally, but to keep them in DVD file format so people can easily download and burn them if they choose. It's keeps it as close to the original source as possible, which is always valued in live bootlegs among fans. So that's why.

I want navigation, but just something simple (which is what already exists on them). The example I've given earlier had one concert from 1994 and another from 2002 on one DVD. The menu was just blue with 2 buttons to select one or the other... which would simply play when clicked. Both concerts are split in the VOB files as VTS_01_X.vob and VTS_02_X.vob. So I can easily split the two videos by just moving the files associated with each show to different folders. I just need to redo the ifo files so the menus only reflect each show separately. There has to be some program that can do that without one or two conversions of the video files. I've been working with ifoedit which can recreate ifo's, and then I tried using pgcedit to edit the menus, but I'm such a newbie I didn't really get as far as I'd like. One show had a menu with both shows listed, but only one button worked. The other had no menu at all and just started playing immediately. I'd like each to have a menu so that one can see what show is on the disc, and a simple button that can begin playing it. That's really it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you actually have all the files for a DVD, you can put them in a separate folder and then use DVD Shrink (with Open Files menu option) to read it. If that works, you can then use the Re-author mode to separate the multiple concerts (one at a time) and save them as separate ISO files for each concert. The ISO files won't have a menu, but all the chapter points will still be there. The ISO files could then be read by a DVD authoring program to add a menu if desired.
    Note: Go to the DVD Shrink Preferences and set the Target DVD size to DVD-9 so you won't "SHRINK" your videos.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pjcrown --- THANK YOU! Your DVD Shrink method was by far the simplest method for my needs. Can't thank you enough for helping solve it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad this Forum could help you with your problem.
    Quote Quote