VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a new laptop with Windows 10. How come when viewing in large icon mode, some of my AVI and MPG video files show thumbnails while other AVI and MPG video files do NOT show thumbnails? It's all random. I don't recall having this issue when I had Windows 7. All video thumbnails were working.

All of the MOV video files do not show thumbnails. Is it some sort of a Windows compatibility thing with Apple? I've deleted my thumbnail cache but still nothing. Help!!!!!
    Last edited by jyeh74; 24th May 2018 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try this tutorial: http://www.intowindows.com/thumbnail-previews-not-showing-in-windows-10-file-explorer/

But ignore their 'fixit' programs on that page as they are payware.

If the thumbnails only work on certain folders, you might want to reset for all folders.
    Individual folders can have different thumbnail settings. Common if you import folders from a different source or PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Redwudz, none of those 4 solutions worked. Let me add clarity. Keep in mind all picture thumbnails work and it is only video thumbnails that have problems. All MOV thumbnails do not work and some AVI and MPG thumbnails do not work on the Asus laptop (personal laptop). It is mainly the MOV thumbnails that I am having problems. I wanted to test to see if it is the video files themselves that were corrupted. So I used the Lenovo laptop (work laptop) to see if these MOV files thumbnails would work, and the MOV files thumbnails did work. So it's not the issue with the video file itself. The MOV files are good. It seems like some incompatibility with the Asus laptop but no one can explain it.

So for the MOV files thumbnails that work on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop (work laptop) BUT does not work with my new Windows 10 Asus laptop (home laptop), what can I do? I even tried to delete the thumbnail cache from Windows explorer and also rebuild the thumbnail cache in command prompt like one of the threads suggested but that did not work. It's a brand new computer but obviously something is happening that is causing the MOV thumbnails to not work. Is it a laptop brand issue? The Lenovo is on an older version of Win 10 (ver 1607) compared to the Asus laptop Win 10 (ver 1803). Yet the older version of Windows 10 on the Lenovo displays the mov thumbnails and most of the AVI and mpg thumbnails. Windows updates are current for both computers. Someone please help! Do I have a defected Asus laptop?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 25th May 2018 at 11:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using a W10 Asus laptop (Asus GL752VW-DH71) at the present and no problems with MOV thumbnails from my Mobius camera and
    some from a friends iPhone.

The PC has been recently updated, but always showed MOV thumbnails. They also open with 'Movies & TV',
    the MS player, and Windows Media Player and VLC.
    No external codecs have been installed, but it doesn't seem to be a codec problem.

I'm not sure what to suggest, but maybe others here have some ideas.
    Last edited by redwudz; 25th May 2018 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I called Microsoft support and they tried updating a VGA patch from Asus but that didn’t work. So they went back to Windows 10 version 1703 and now ALMOST everything works. They said version 1803 has a lot of issues. I never would have thought by rolling back would solve it. Let’s hope Windows doesn’t automatically update to the new version after awhile.

Question- there are still a few thumbnails that don't work. The file plays when I click on it. What does that mean? Can a file just not have the ability to display thumbnails period?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 25th May 2018 at 18:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few files that don't have thumbnails, mostly MPEGs as apparently W10 doesn't support them.
    Possibly some other formats also. But they all play, at least in VLC or my other non-MS players.

My W10 PCs have just been updated, so I'll keep an eye out for problems. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Most of mine that still do NOT show thumbnails are AVI. (Windows 10 ver 1703)
    But what is interesting, is that if I try a different laptop, i.e. another version of Windows 7 or 10, they might work. Some will work on one Windows 10 but not another Windows 10. Some will work on Windows 7 but not Windows 10, etc
    So it really is just a combination of Windows version and video file then?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I noticed that the thumbnails for my folders and files keep refreshing or re-creating itself. I had the same problem with the previous version of Windows 10, but at least then it took days or weeks to refresh or re-create the thumbnails, but now it's constantly doing it. Really annoying! any help? Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher
    Last edited by mrbansal; 31st May 2018 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mrbansal View Post
    After updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I noticed that the thumbnails for my folders and files keep refreshing or re-creating itself. I had the same problem with the previous version of Windows 10, but at least then it took days or weeks to refresh or re-create the thumbnails, but now it's constantly doing it. Really annoying! any help?
    This version is outdated and you'll have serious issues with BSOD's also, get the last one. The new ISO can be downloaded directly from Microsoft at the link below.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

To direct download a ISO, you must be outside a Windows Environment like Mac or Linux.
    I recommend that you do not update your system but rather do a clean install, formating your HDD so backup your stuff before doing it.

By the way, make sure you have a valid and activated serial before upgrading!
    Quote Quote