VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hello!

i make dvd menus for art performance, so i want a standalone player that i can load my .iso onto, and then navigate the menus with a remote control.

i don't need blu-ray or HD support, or any streaming.

this seems like an easy thing to find many years ago, but the media player landscape now is different.

many players list .iso in their supported media types, but i can't tell if that means menu support.

any help?

right now i am looking at this one:

MXQ PRO S905W Android 7.1 Quad core 4K 1G+8GB DDR4 TV BOX Media WIFI MINI PC 3D

i know my best bet would be to buy an old player, but they are now so expensive.

thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The latest Kodi on Android is reported to be able to play DVD menus.

If by old player you're referring to the WDTV Live series, yes they're highly overpriced but keep an eye out and you can find them for <$60 on eBay or Amazon.

If you're talking about an old DVD player, they're usually <$25 at your local thrift store or sometimes free on Craigslist.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.avforums.com/review/popcorn-hour-a-500-media-player-review.12623 It plays DVD ISO's and BD ISO's and just about anything you throw at it including H265 but not VP9
    Last edited by netmask56; 23rd May 2018 at 06:22. Reason: additions
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used WDTV for years for this.
    Kodi boxes also do what you want.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have an Android TV box yet, so I have not tried using either of them but if Kodi is not to your liking, VLC for Android and MX Player for Android are supposed to be able to play DVD ISOs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    when i searched for kodi it installed TVMC, which i guess is related? however it does not seem to be recognizing the .iso file type when i go looking for it in the file manager. the file doesn't show up.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by whosemap; 23rd May 2018 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whosemap View Post
    when i searched for kodi it installed TVMC, which i guess is related? however it does not seem to be recognizing the .iso file type when i go looking for it in the file manager. the file doesn't show up.

any thoughts?
    Uninstall TVMC and download the real Kodi from a trusted source. https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Android

According to the reviews I found, TVMC's main attraction is that it facilitates finding and watching warez. Kodi is primarily a media player for home theater PC enthusiasts.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use 9000 kbps in AVStoDVD without problems.
    (Oops wrong thread)
    Last edited by davexnet; 15th Oct 2019 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote