VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I mean audieo recorder (home cassette deck), does it have TBC function. I want to buy one. Your opinion is that if the VCR supports TBC, connecting a home recording deck to a VCR can perform TBC on analog audio?
    I mean audieo recorder (home cassette deck), does it have TBC function. I want to buy one. Your opinion is that if the VCR supports TBC, connecting a home recording deck to a VCR can perform TBC on analog audio? It seems like I found out that this forum does not discuss the area of digital recording equipment, so I sent it here for the time being. Thank you. I want to buy a home tape recorder that is best equipped with TBC. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Simple answer: NO.

ALL, EVERY consumer-based analog audio recorder - whether compact cassette, 8-track tape, reel-to-reel, whatever - is basically freewheeling (both figuratively and literally). The best they have to go by is PLL (phase-lock looped) dual capstans & take-up motors.
    Only 2" 24track and similar pro recorders use anything resembling crystal clock sync (gen-locked?) or timecode.

Usually, unless your deck is so awful that it has worn out its motors or its capstan size & gripping power, you should not have unmanageable Wow & Flutter (the thing that is exemplified when your timebase varies). Always some in analog, but not enough to worry about.

...Sounds to me like you have some other issue/don't understand what is involved.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by 280634157 View Post
    I mean audieo recorder (home cassette deck), does it have TBC function. I want to buy one. Your opinion is that if the VCR supports TBC, connecting a home recording deck to a VCR can perform TBC on analog audio?
    There is no such things as TBC on audio - worst case scenario i.e. 1 frame buffer to store a complete picture gives you latency around 1/25 (approx 1/30) ms i.e. around 40 - 30ms - this is negligible when consider audio/video lipsync.
    Quote Quote