VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to download a program called Dvrbars. It’s a program to upgrade the TiVo. The problem is, it can only be run on windows 7 and I have windows 10.

I don’t want to mess with the partitions of my hard drive so I was thinking about finding a bootable Windows 7 software online and burning it on either a cd or dvd and booting the pc up and installing Dvrbars on the disc. Even if it’s only installed temporary.

Is that possible? Perhaps on a rewritable(rw) dvd or cd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well according to what I read, DVRBARS is a backup and restore - not an upgrade - program.

And according to the Tivo forum it will run on Win 10. Some people have noted errors but that is down to your PC configuration (particular drives) and not the program itself.

As to what you suggest about installing Win7 I do not think that is possible. You could set up a VM (Virtual Machine) within Win 10 and install Win 7 on that but if what I read and write above is true then it would not be necessary..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And, naturally, if you can not get the program to work then you should address your program to that forum topic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One can (and should) always try using compatibility mode and elevated privileges, as well.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Indeed. In fact I believe I read in the program notes that you had to install/run it as administrator.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well according to what I read, DVRBARS is a backup and restore - not an upgrade - program.

As to what you suggest about installing Win7 I do not think that is possible. You could set up a VM (Virtual Machine) within Win 10 and install Win 7 on that but if what I read and write above is true then it would not be necessary..
    My mistake, I was probably thinking about Jmfs which is a copy and upgrade program. Either way, I will have to use both of these.
    How do I set up Virtual Machine and does it mess with my windows 10 hard drive?

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    One can (and should) always try using compatibility mode and elevated privileges, as well.

Scott
    What does that do and how do I use it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a search for 'VMware'

As far as I know it does not mess with your Win10 install. A program (the VM) is installed under Win10 and is configured to read another OS installed on the same HDD - you would AFAIK install the OS under the VM program

But it is a lot of work and the solution could be staring you in the face. I have not looked up that other program so do not know if that will not run under Win 10.

When you install a program - not sure how it works with Win 10 - but with Win7 you would right click on the installation file and select 'Run As Administrator'. Once the program is installed you right click on the exe and run 'troubleshoot compatabilty' or words to that effect. Win 7 also has a right-click option for 'run as administrator'
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right click on .exe, choose properties, then compatibility tab.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Many options.

Scott
    Quote Quote