VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This probably an easy question but I cannot find the answer. I recently found several loacations,where the batch file uses an unusual (to me) variable form.

The most recent is supposed to remove leadingbzeros from a variable. Can anyone explain what the following means?

Set n=000234765
    Set n=%n:0=% <---- what is this and what does it do and how?

I know the common form of !n:~0,6! And similar but can find no explanation of n=%n:0=%
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. By experimentation, it replaces all occurrences of the character sequence to the left of the = with the character sequence to the right of the = In this case all zeros are replaced with nothing. In the following the first "02" is replaced with "__"

Code:
    Set n=000234765

echo %n%

Set n=%n:02=__%

echo %n%

pause
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st May 2018 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo. Thank you much. I needed to replace zeros but couldn't for the life of me figure out how it worked or find reference to it except in the example i found. Thanks again.

Update. Once you let me know it 'replaces characters i went searching again and found a reference in case anyone reads and needs this in the future. Thanks again jagabo. Master of video as well as programming! Lol
    https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-replace.html
    Last edited by Budman1; 21st May 2018 at 22:41.
    Quote Quote