VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My device still captures, but preview does not work...So I am not sure when to start/stop capturing! Any help is appreciated...

Thnx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you check the Overlay/Preview/Acceleration options at the top of the Video menu?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you check the Overlay/Preview/Acceleration options at the top of the Video menu?
    Thnx for the response. I did change the settings you mentioned, and that did not help. All I see is a horizontal line with an approximate two pixel height at the top of the preview page.

Doom9 have a project called Vdub2 with an extra option for "preview with filters", this did show the picture but I do not use it since sometimes it crashes and also I am not sure if what I see is raw picture or not. I am not even sure if using this version affects the picture quality at all.

I am using the latest official 32-bit stable release, the only extra custom video codec is huffy, and I use the default audio codecs. BTW, I am capturing a VHS tape...My setup worked w/o issues prior to the update...

Thnx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome to Windows 10. Now you know why so few people recommend it for video work.
    You can always try suing Microsoft.
    Windows 8 sucks, too. Or upgrade to Windows 7. Even better, upgrade to XP.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Welcome to Windows 10. Now you know why so few people recommend it for video work.
    I prefer to use the latest OS since it utilizes modern hardware and offers many security improvements...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was hoping you had just changed the view settings by accident. Guess not. Some long shots:

At VirtualDub's initial editing interface select Options -> Preferences -> Display... then disable Use DirectX for display panes. Exit the program, restart it, then go to the capture module. Any better?

Try setting the capture device to screen capture. Do you see the preview now? With your usual capture device try changing the capture settings to RGB instead of YUY2 or whatever you're using now. Any difference? Update graphics drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mtamimi View Post
    I prefer to use the latest OS since it utilizes modern hardware and offers many security improvements...
    Including the "improvements" you're "enjoying" now?

I captured thousands of hours with Windows XP for years, no problems. I captured thousands of hours of SD and HD with Windows 7, no glitches at all for several years. I got Windows 10 and everything came to a screeching halt. W10 ended up in a recycling bin. I'm back to XP and W7 and doing perfectly well in all respects.

New isn't better. It's just new. And Windows 10 is not the latest technology. It's just the latest wallet-sucking b.s.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe not the source of your problem but try this: download directshow file manager. Find & Click on "Video renderer" and "overlay mixer" aswell ; set them to 00610000 which is "normal"
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same thing here. Last April 2018 update (updated here last friday, the 19th) created problems using MeGUI and VirtualDubMOD. They don't work anymore. Repectively MeGUI says it found an external exception and may not be able to proceed. VirtualDubMOD is dead. I must revert to the last update when things were still working. So sorry for what Microsoft is doing.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    same for me after the spring update....

not exactly the same issue, but Vdub doesn't recognize my capture card anymore...
    Black magic software still works.
    JVC X550R 4K/HDR/WCG - DENON X2300W 5.1.2 DTS-X/ATMOS - Klipsch Reference Series R-26F, R-25C, R-10S - SAMSUNG K8500 UHD player - GTX1070, i7 HTPC
    Quote Quote  
  11. FWIW: I don't have any analog capture devices set up anymore but I've run VirtualDub2, VirtualDub, and VirtualDubMod on three computers with Win10 build 1803 and all the latest updates. I've seen no problems at the main editing window. I've used the capture module for screen capture and saw no problems there.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th May 2018 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After my computer received the Windows 10 upgrade to v1803, I could no longer capture using my Hauppauge TV tuner. I'd get an error message which said "VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver." I went to the trouble of removing my Hauppauge software and drivers, but it didn't help.

After doing a Google search, I found the answer: A privacy setting has to be enabled!

Here's how I fixed it:
    From the Start Menu select Settings (looks like a gear)
    Then select Privacy
    Next, select Camera from the left sidebar
    Find "Allow apps to access your camera" and set the toggle to on
    I've read that if a microphone doesn't work, then you'll need to make a similar change to the privacy setting for the microphone too!

Sheesh, thanks Microsoft!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wasn't Microsoft's snafu - they were required to add that as part of the E.U.'s new GDPR privacy law. Will likely be showing up in all other OSes (any that can be used in EU, or elsewhere by EU citizens).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nomolu View Post
    After my computer received the Windows 10 upgrade to v1803, I could no longer capture using my Hauppauge TV tuner. I'd get an error message which said "VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver." I went to the trouble of removing my Hauppauge software and drivers, but it didn't help.

After doing a Google search, I found the answer: A privacy setting has to be enabled!

Here's how I fixed it:
    Then select Privacy
    I've read that if a microphone doesn't work, then you'll need to make a similar change to the privacy setting for the microphone too!

thank you so much..
    this is exactly the msg i was getting.
    JVC X550R 4K/HDR/WCG - DENON X2300W 5.1.2 DTS-X/ATMOS - Klipsch Reference Series R-26F, R-25C, R-10S - SAMSUNG K8500 UHD player - GTX1070, i7 HTPC
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by nomolu View Post

Here's how I fixed it:
    Then select Privacy

Yeap...Microsoft been Microsoft, I don't use vdub to capture my stuff anymore but the settings works.
    [Attachment 45792 - Click to enlarge]

GO MICROSOFT!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But it says in your PC description below your avatar you're using XP SP2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then video isn't for you.
    Win10 is for Facebook on tablets, not really productivity in any way.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luchyparker View Post

I'm back to XP and W7 and doing perfectly well in all respects.
    You all do realize, don't you, that support for Windows XP ended YEARS ago--2014 I think--which means that anyone who is using it is not receiving security updates anymore, which means that if your PC is Internet-connected you're just BEGGING to get malware (and antivirus software won't help; antivirus software will not make up for an unpatched OS). Security updates for Windows Vista have ended too, and security updates for Windows 8 have either ended already or will end soon. Security updates for Windows 7 will end in 2020 unless you pay Microsoft for updates for longer.

Security updates are important.
    Last edited by Drew Neilson; 20th Nov 2018 at 03:00.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Get a dual boot machine, use a firewall, disconnect the network while you capture your stuff or use a linux.

Windows 10 it's not "capture friendly".

Personally I rather use a Windows 2000 with SP4, very light and you don't need to authenticate the serial like you do with XP.
    Quote Quote  
  20. amaipaipai, are you running Win 2000 on current/newer PCs or on older machines that were around when Win 2000 was current? I've just assumed that I'd have problems finding chipset drivers etc. to run Win 2000 on newer hardware.

mtamimi, have you tried using AmarecTV (v3.10 or earlier) to capture? Previewing captures in VD or VD2 with my Hauppauge USB2 Live in 64-bit Win10 has always been a bit iffy - usually repeated retries whilst changing the preview acceleration settings will eventually get me a picture. (Having said that, I've just fired up 32-bit Vdub 1.10.4 to check the name of the menu options and, sod's law, it's worked straight away with Preview acceleration set to 'Progressive - Both Fields'. Not sure if relevant but it's 64-bit Win 10 v1803.....376.)

I generally use AmarecTV as I don't have these issues and very, very rarely get audio sync issues. If you do try AmarecTV DON'T USE V4 or later as you need to buy their codec before you can capture. With the earlier versions you can use the regular codecs that you're probably using in Vdub. (e.g. Lagarith, Huffyuv, MagicYUV, UT Video, x264vfw etc.) Click on the 'Update Codec List' button to see what codecs are available on your system that AmarecTV can use.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    amaipaipai, are you running Win 2000 on current/newer PCs or on older machines that were around when Win 2000 was current? I've just assumed that I'd have problems finding chipset drivers etc. to run Win 2000 on newer hardware.
    I was running on an Athlon 64 X2 4600 or 6000, can't remember. Years latter with my current hardware I use Windows 7 Pro with Window XP mode on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tGp4lkugo

With that I could run old apps that only works on XP, like my USB ISDB-T Tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ah. I just wondered if Win 2000 was even more robust and flexible than I'd imagined.

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Quote Quote  
  23. W2K it's robust, stable and very, very light.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes. But if you can't get drivers for it to work with the hdd controller, memory controller, graphics etc. etc. etc. on a newer motherboard then it's probably not a great solution in that particular situation.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 22nd Nov 2018 at 04:15. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote  
  25. Over here I can get old used small desktops for less than $200. Over here you can get even cheaper models from Dell and use it to handle analog captures using Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Not having a go, just trying to get clarification. I thought that just maybe you'd found a way of installing Win2000 on newer systems - maybe as a dual-boot scenario. Now I know.
    Quote Quote