VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone finding the same as me?

My editing box is running Manjaro KDE and I haven't used Kdenlive in quite a while, so I decided to try 18.04.1 Flatpak. Last time I used Kdenlive, its biggest problem was updates breaking things in the middle of a project, so Flatpak seemed the answer to that.

I tested it with a sequence both as raw camera files and as ProRes rendered from Kdenlive and re-imported, with and without GPU effects selected. First vid.stab with GPU selected, when inserting a processed clip into the assets window, it crashes. It also crashes without GPU selected. Next colour correction effects, apart from titles, normally the only ones I need. The GPU effects are quite stable and I prefer the look, but there is a limited number so non-GPU effects are sometimes needed either instead of, or with GPU effects but done in a separate pass. Most of the non-GPU CC effects I tried were no problem, but both Levels and Saturation crashed Kdenlive when dropping them on a clip. As both are somewhat fundamental to colour correcting I was sort of screwed really, so I didn't try the titles effect.

To eliminate the possibility of a faulty Flatpak download or installation, I uninstalled it and re-installed Kdenlive 18.04.1 from the repository. Exactly the same. Disappointing but not too surprising. I used to use Kdenlive exclusively up to release 0.9.6, after that things went missing or got broken and I stopped using it. I tried it again when it became part of the Manjaro installation, although it now isn't, but since too regular updates were causing me problems I gave up. I have uninstalled it again.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if the latest version is still giving you problems, then i would suggest to go back to an earlier version - https://www.videohelp.com/software/Kdenlive/version-history#changelog
    then you may want to get a hold of the developer of Kdenlive and let them know the problems you are having so they can fix the issues you are having problems with the program.

you may want to visit the Kdenlive forum for more help - https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=262
    Last edited by october262; 20th May 2018 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Flatpaks are better than ppas or (ugh) building from source but they don't necessarily work. Tried the regular repo version (I don't use Manjaro but I assume it's there)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. Unstable POS.
    And another version doesn't help.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying.

I tried the Flatpak and repo versions, both 18.04.1, both exhibited exactly the same behaviour. Whether other effects or actions will cause it to crash I don't know, I didn't try them all. Over the years I have used Kdenlive on several different distros and had very few problems until they broke it with version 0.9.8, when I persevered with learning how to use Cinelerra. I alternated between the two, using Kdenlive more often because I found it easier but when Kdenlive became an official KDE application and started getting monthly updates through the distro, I frequently had to re-start projects, almost always in Cinelerra. So I abandoned Kdenlive in favour of Cinelerra. Having seen it is now available as Flatpak (and Appimage which I didn't try), I thought it was worth another look, I find it's always useful to have an alternative.

What I was wondering was if anyone here has had better results with 18.04.1 on a different distro. Not that I will be changing mine in the near future, but if it is an Arch/Manjaro thing it would be interesting to know. Either way I shan't be wasting any more time on Kdenlive for a while, I shall just carry on using the superior Cinelerra.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I agree. Unstable POS.
    If there's anyone here you should listen to, this guy is it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. Unstable POS.
    If there's anyone here you should listen to, this guy is it.
    Surely, I can't argue with that. It's such a shame because I used to find it quite reliable. Oh well............
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another freeware to avoid is OpenShot. It's spyware.

One of my friends loves Blender, swears by it. I can't argue with his results, but that learning curve is steep.

The thing I've not yet had time to play with is DaVinci Resolve, and it has a Linux version as well. If I needed to edit on Linux, I'd go for it.

That said, I don't like doing much video work on Linux. I do my editing on Windows or Mac in FCP and Premiere Pro, sometimes Avid or Vegas Pro. Hence no real need to mess with freeware too often. I have the premium toys in my playpen.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't like Openshot much, spyware or not, despite all the hype it's very ordinary.

I have tried Blender for editing and I agree it is very good, up to a point. For me the problem is that there is no easy direct access from the VSE (timeline to the rest of us) to the nodes, so sharpening and denoising are missing. Both can be done but it's a lot of time and work. It is a bit quirky in operation and using non-standard shortcut keys, although they can be changed.

I'm happy with and getting good results from, Cinelerra-GG 5.1. It's ffmpeg based, unlike the others which are QT based, so it accepts and will render almost anything that ffmpeg can read. To my eye it gives substantially better results than Kdenlive used to, although the GPU effects in Kdenlive do improve things, which is why I thought I would try it again. Next year perhaps?

I used Vegas Pro9 when I was a Windows user and actually Kdenlive is not so different to use, so it was a relatively easy changeover. I found both Cinelerra (all versions were QT based then) and Blender extremely hard to get started with, which is why I stuck with Kdenlive so long, it was the easy option and I could actually get my video edited which, as I seem to remember, is the whole point.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... The thing I've not yet had time to play with is DaVinci Resolve, and it has a Linux version as well. If I needed to edit on Linux, I'd go for it. ....
    Linux users should know that the free Linux version of Resolve does not support x264 video, which IMHO makes it kind of useless.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Linux users should know that the free Linux version of Resolve does not support x264 video, which IMHO makes it kind of useless.
    One reason I've never tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Take a look at Flowblade, I've found it to be very good and certainly an alternative to Kdenlive. It does support all the common video modes and is still getting regular updates.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find Flowblade pretty good too, although I don't have it at present because it's not in my current distro's repo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    ... The thing I've not yet had time to play with is DaVinci Resolve, and it has a Linux version as well. If I needed to edit on Linux, I'd go for it. ....
    On import or export?

You should never edit H.264 anyway, as it's a delivery format.

And most NLEs are terrible at export, so just export lossless as well. Use something like Avidemux (or another encoder of choice) for the x264 creation.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    On import or export?

You should never edit H.264 anyway, as it's a delivery format.

And most NLEs are terrible at export, so just export lossless as well. Use something like Avidemux (or another encoder of choice) for the x264 creation.
    AFAIK it's not there for either import or export, and I think most non pro users would want to compress as well as edit. But this is a pro tool, and I think non pros should stick to non pro tools. It's not like buying professional accounting software is going to make you a chartered accountant.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I happened to have a machine with Kubuntu 18.04 LTS running. I could not get Flatpak Kdenlive to install, but 18.04.1 is in the repo so I installed it. Same result, so it's not the distro. It didn't fully answer my question, but it helped. To quote myself "next year perhaps?".
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it didn't worlk on one distro it's unlikely to work on another unless the one it doesn't work on has hardware support issues with the machine.

Next year perhaps? Or maybe try another editor? Openshot is pretty reliable, or maybe Cinelerra?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it didn't worlk on one distro it's unlikely to work on another unless the one it doesn't work on has hardware support issues with the machine.
    Yes, I agree, but it is a case of "you never know until you try", so I did.

As I said a few posts back, I am using Cinelerra and liking it, but Kdenlive was my first Linux NLE and it's always nice to have it as an alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Another freeware to avoid is OpenShot. It's spyware.

One of my friends loves Blender, swears by it. I can't argue with his results, but that learning curve is steep.

The thing I've not yet had time to play with is DaVinci Resolve, and it has a Linux version as well. If I needed to edit on Linux, I'd go for it.

That said, I don't like doing much video work on Linux. I do my editing on Windows or Mac in FCP and Premiere Pro, sometimes Avid or Vegas Pro. Hence no real need to mess with freeware too often. I have the premium toys in my playpen.
    why do you say that?
    Quote Quote