VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am creating MKVs of remastered Star Trek episodes from the Blu Rays. I'm using BD-Rebuilder to make the MKVs. The MKVs come out fine. I play them on my Android phone using VLC, which displays subtitles. The problem is that for the remastered episodes, with new effects, the sections with new effects have a different subtitle stream. This causes issues with VLC, which doesn't automatically pick up the subtitles for the next portion of the video that doesn't have the new effects. Essentially, the subtitles just stop playing and then when they do restart, they're out of sequence with the video.
    Is there a setting in BD-Rebuilder that I can use to "merge" the subtitles somehow? I have tried MakeMKV but that results in a file that's over 8 GB...I tried using Nero Recode to "shrink" this down to a reasonable size, but the video plays back "choppy."
    Failing that, is there a better alternative for an HD MKV player for my Android phone that could handle this unusual case of more than one subtitle stream in a video?
    84Lion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the file as a MKV then you can use MKVToolNix to merge as many subtitles tracks you like.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks! I downloaded the program and will give it a try.
    84Lion
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, I have the following in MKVToolNix. What settings do I need to apply to merge the two subtitle tracks? I tried setting both as "default track flag" Yes but that didn't work. Neither did setting both tracks to automatic.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	StarTrekWNM.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	45669  

84Lion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The word default means that is the track you want so by basic English definition you can only have one default track. The other tracks would be selectable in the playback device.

I'm guessing here, do you want one of the subtitles at the beginning and at some point switch over to the other? If this is the case the question is really how to edit 2 subtitle tracks into one new track to replace the original two. If this is the case then as PGS subs are image based you could either convert them using OCR to SRT type and edit in subtitle workshop or similar. Take a look at this thread for editing sup subtitles https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382531-Editing-PGS-subtitles-without-OCR#post2477363 as this might do what you need?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's been awhile, but I FINALLY figured out how to do this. First, I use MakeMKV to create individual MKV files of the episodes. Then, I take those individual MKV files and import them to BD-Rebuilder. I use BD-Rebuilder to reduce the size of the files to about 2GB. The resulting file plays perfectly in VLC, including the captions.
    84Lion
    Quote Quote