VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As question states.

Was a long time i played with this, but i remember that you wanted to have the settings in a way that didn't crush any details,
    and even if it was too bright /dark you could fix that afterwards as the details at at least there.

But not sure how to set that up, is the same for every input the card, is it per device, or is it per media (in case of a VCR etc)?

Thanks;U
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    For notes on how to monitor bright and dark levels with the VDub capture histogram, see VirtualDub Capture Guide post #3.
    For notes on how to work with the capture driver's proc amp controls and how to adjust cropping for levels measurement. and the difference between Brighhtness and Contrast (which you probably know by now, after going over it a few timed at videohelp in 2012 and 2014), see VirtualDub Capture Guide post #4.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah nice, seems to be what i remember, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    But not sure how to set that up, is the same for every input the card, is it per device, or is it per media (in case of a VCR etc)?
    Most definitely set up per tape, or even a part of a tape. Once you lose black or white detail, it is gone forever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Roger, will go with per tape, do some checks to find the brightest part and work from there (luckily with the borders you can always find the blackest)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    Roger, will go with per tape, do some checks to find the brightest part and work from there (luckily with the borders you can always find the blackest)
    You're supposed to temporarily crop the borders, remember that part? And they aren't always y=16 black or lower, either. Every card, every tape, every player needs a levels check. In other words, check every time you capture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. oh, that sucked, thought it was part of the video (PAL) -_-
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Remove the border temporarily with VDub capture's crop feature, then use the histogram to check and adjust levels. When you have the settings you want, undo cropping by setting all crop parameters to zero. Just un-checking the crop menu item doesn't turn it off. Set every crop value back to zero in order to restore your original frame size setting.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 19th May 2018 at 05:05.
    Quote Quote