VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab DRM and remove iTunes movie & music protection! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi folks,

i'd like to capture some vhs. i did that in the past with vdub and my "hauppauge wintv go" tv card. but i know that this card doesn't ship a video for windows driver for anything newer than winxp.

soooo... what capture device ships a video for windows driver for win 7 and upwards? (and i don't think, usb devices are fast enough for huffyuv captures).
    or are there alternatives to virtual dub which are able to capture in huffyuv and with "normal" WDM drivers?

-benni
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    There's no problem capturing YUY2 SD video with a USB 2 dongle. I use AmaRecTV instead of VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Most capture cards compatible with VirtualDub use DirectShow drivers. I haven't seen a vfw capture device in 15 years.

Originally Posted by benni View Post
    (and i don't think, usb devices are fast enough for huffyuv captures).
    You're dead wrong there. Maybe you ain't doin' it right. If you're using WinTv, you're definitely on the wrong track.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7427-capturing-virtualdub-settings.html
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for your replies...
    i was just guessing about the usb adapters as huffyuv transports probably more data than usb 2.0 usually does (~22 MB/sec). but if you say it works, i'd be happy
    //edit: used a calculator. from my past experience, it was around 11 mb/sec for a huffyuv capture. so usb works

motivated from your posts i installed my old (old old) wintv go, but i can't find any win7 drivers for it.

do you have a cheap advice for me which device i should buy that works with vdub? maybe even with a component cable input?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Why do want component cable? What kind of VHS player do you have with component outputs?

2 good performing USB cards win with XP/7/8/10 drivers for VirtualDub or AmarecTV lossless capture. Lossless is used for VHS cleanup, repair, restoration, and final encoding:
    Hauppauge USB Live-2: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116048 .
    Diamond Multimedia VC500: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Capture-Software-Convert/dp/B000VM60I8?ref=ast_p_ep.
    Are these cheap enough? You'll see many threads in this and other forums where people all over the world use these two devices. You can do even cheaper by getting even cheaper, horrible Chinese ripoff copies of these products. So if you're going to get those copies and give your money away for nothing, why not just make a contribution to videohelp?

If you don't intend to cleanup VHS after capture, you don't need lossless capture, and you're wasting your time recording to low-performance lossy b.s encoders like WinTV. Why not just buy a legacy DVD recorder and get a decent recording?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 18th May 2018 at 15:49.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for your reply, LMotlow.

i have to check which VCR i've stored in the basement. if it has no component output, i have a scart-to-component-converter.

and yes, i want to cleanup / filter the captured material with vdub and/or avisynth. no OEM-software-encoders

if you have even cheaper ones that *work* with vdub, i'm open to suggestions
    Quote Quote