VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a pile of HEVC+AAC videos in MKV containers. They all open in AviDemux, but I can't skip through some of them with the slider, keyframe buttons, etc. The video info is exactly the same on the files I can and can't seek on, so it makes no sense. I'm trying to cut out some of each video, and this is pissing me off.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of AVIDemux? Try the 64bit version if you are not using it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video info is exactly the same on the files
    You know that the videos were encoded with the exact same x265 settings? Assuming they were encoded with x265. If the GOP is allowed to be large then seeking can become difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    The video info is exactly the same on the files
    You know that the videos were encoded with the exact same x265 settings? Assuming they were encoded with x265. If the GOP is allowed to be large then seeking can become difficult.
    No idea how they were encoded. I just meant the info you can bring up is exactly the same (bitrates, etc).

and yes, I'm using 2.7 64-bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I can remember when x265 first came out, seeking around in a x265 encoded video file was pretty slow (like 30 seconds to seek anywhere in the video). Telling x265 to only have closed GOPs and <300 frame GOPs helped a lot if I remember correctly. But that was back in 2013-2014, today I don't command closed GOPs and I'm not sure what changed. Either the developers of x265 tweaked something or we have better HEVC decoders now, or a bit of both.

MKVToolNix GUI is pretty good at cutting HEVC files, you just have to tell it timecodes or a frame numbers to cut on and it will try to cut the video out at the start of the closest GOP (I-frame). Normal HEVC videos were never designed around being cut up in an easy way so you can't get frame accurate cuts.
    Quote Quote